Dex wrote:Use it to test all the OS's on the forum and do a write up of the down and plus side's of each one.
Eg: how easy was it, to make a boot disk
did they boot ok
How fast did they boot
did they have any app and if so, did they run ok
e.t.c
This is a OS Dev forum, so just putting xp or linux on it, is a kick in the teeth to what this forum stands for, which is making usable OS's.
Once you have done that, turn it into a picture frame, or web server, home automation server or maybe a dashboard widget displayer.
That's why I left a lot of extra room!

I definitely wanted to have an open slot for testing my system/dangerous code and anything else. I can come up with some whacky ideas which I'm too chicken to try on my work computers.

I'll gladly test as many systems as I
have time to. Of course, those who ask will get preferential testing time.

Mind you, I realized last night just
how screwed up this computer is. The mouse pad sporadically dies or sends random signals to the hardware, and keyboard is missing keys and the caps lock flickers in and out, etc.

I'll fix it all when I'm able to focus on it. Won't cost too much (est. $50-75 tops). But as of now, I could test someone's system and not know if their drivers are faulty or if it's this crappy old hardware (most likely hardware though, lol).
If the demand for dedicated OS testers is great, I have several friends who I
may be able to talk into it. They are not advanced programmers, but instead, general computer/tech enthusiasts who would enjoy tinkering with alternative operating systems. Just ask, and I'll see if I can rope em in. Don't expect them to be programming and development gurus though; just testers.
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. - Jeremy S. Anderson