Re: What should I do with it!? :)
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 am
Ah, no worries. I took no offense! Just didn't want you to think I was talking about/or participating in anything illegal/insane.
I've never built anything as big as those in the video, but it would be fun. Just haven't been able to justify the cost and time to do that. I prefer cheaper zooms and bangs, since it's not something I do every week, or even every month. I guess you could say people do it for the same reason we make operating systems and software; "just" so we can click buttons and type.
"Outsiders" who don't do it can't understand, but once you try it, you usually change your mind. And you're right, it's stunning to see things like that in person. One of the coolest things I've ever seen though was on a TV show called "Master Blasters" where they launched a freakin Mini-Cooper with some massive rockets! Yes, the car! 
Good idea though. I've seen those articles about making lasers from burners, and making all sorts of cool stuff out of what most consider junk. Bound to be something about some interesting uses for an old junky keyboard!
Tough to think of something, because it appears so useless, lol. Necessity is the mother of all invention though, so maybe that explains why I'm stumped for ideas; I don't really *need* it, lol!
I too loved GTA, and even Scarface and the Godfather ftw! lol... You just win very fast and they burn out. I've been able to enjoy IL-2 Sturmovik and other flight sims for years on end though. I have played games like CoD, but I just don't care for them. They last 2-6hrs at most, and they're incredibly Hollywood/Rambo-ish. To me, that's the last thing a virtual military/combat experience should be. It marginalizes the real thing and pumps up kids heads with nonsense and killing for the sake of killing.
That's why you see those chubby 12 year-olds wearing real military units' insignias and uniforms and marching around with airsoft guns.

HAHAHA!!!
Guess that about sums it up, lol. I'm a major history enthusiast too, so I don't even care for anything involving modern combat; especially modern aircraft. It's all about lock-ons and computer systems doing the work for you. I prefer to take up a Bf-109, FW-190, Mustang, or Spitfire and blast things with machine guns and cannons. You actually have to FLY and manage your engine, energy state, etc. Nothing beats flying IRL though!
Of course, if it comes down to it, I can always try to emulate this sexy and dashing young devil:

HAHAHA!!!
Good idea though. I've seen those articles about making lasers from burners, and making all sorts of cool stuff out of what most consider junk. Bound to be something about some interesting uses for an old junky keyboard!
I too loved GTA, and even Scarface and the Godfather ftw! lol... You just win very fast and they burn out. I've been able to enjoy IL-2 Sturmovik and other flight sims for years on end though. I have played games like CoD, but I just don't care for them. They last 2-6hrs at most, and they're incredibly Hollywood/Rambo-ish. To me, that's the last thing a virtual military/combat experience should be. It marginalizes the real thing and pumps up kids heads with nonsense and killing for the sake of killing.

HAHAHA!!!
Guess that about sums it up, lol. I'm a major history enthusiast too, so I don't even care for anything involving modern combat; especially modern aircraft. It's all about lock-ons and computer systems doing the work for you. I prefer to take up a Bf-109, FW-190, Mustang, or Spitfire and blast things with machine guns and cannons. You actually have to FLY and manage your engine, energy state, etc. Nothing beats flying IRL though!
Of course, if it comes down to it, I can always try to emulate this sexy and dashing young devil:

HAHAHA!!!