I patched Bochs so we can control the state of the A20 line via the bochsrc file in a BIOS-independent way.
I made that for me and it turned out to be really helpful.
So you may find it useful too.
Here is my fork on Github:
https://github.com/wewauction-create/Bochs_A20
Take care 1337 fellow
I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
-
OSCASSEMBLY
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue May 19, 2026 10:15 am
-
Octocontrabass
- Member

- Posts: 6274
- Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm
Re: I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
Wouldn't it make more sense to patch the Bochs BIOS rather than Bochs itself?
-
OSCASSEMBLY
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue May 19, 2026 10:15 am
Re: I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
I said I made that because I wanted a BIOS-independent way of controlling the A20 line.Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:11 pm Wouldn't it make more sense to patch the Bochs BIOS rather than Bochs itself?
What if someone wants to use a BIOS that he doesn't have access to it's source code, and it enables the A20 line?
-
Octocontrabass
- Member

- Posts: 6274
- Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm
Re: I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
Does Bochs support any closed-source BIOSes?OSCASSEMBLY wrote: ↑Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:16 pmWhat if someone wants to use a BIOS that he doesn't have access to it's source code, and it enables the A20 line?
Re: I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
This has been discussed before: https://github.com/bochs-emu/Bochs/pull/911Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:11 pm Wouldn't it make more sense to patch the Bochs BIOS rather than Bochs itself?
When I get a chance, I may be able to patch https://github.com/fysnet/i440fx and the make_cmos_image.cc file to do just that. I can look at the standard BIOS included with Bochs, as well.
The idea is a good idea, though I agree, it should be in the BIOS, not in the Bochs tree.
-
OSCASSEMBLY
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue May 19, 2026 10:15 am
Re: I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
Guys it won't hurt
I just thought that it is a good idea to share it
Besides, yes, Bochs support a lot of BIOSes. Some of them are closed source perhaps.
I just thought that it is a good idea to share it
Besides, yes, Bochs support a lot of BIOSes. Some of them are closed source perhaps.
-
OSCASSEMBLY
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue May 19, 2026 10:15 am
Re: I patched Bochs to control the A20 line via the bochsrc file
Yeah I am the author of that PRBenLunt wrote: ↑Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:46 pmThis has been discussed before: https://github.com/bochs-emu/Bochs/pull/911Octocontrabass wrote: ↑Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:11 pm Wouldn't it make more sense to patch the Bochs BIOS rather than Bochs itself?
When I get a chance, I may be able to patch https://github.com/fysnet/i440fx and the make_cmos_image.cc file to do just that. I can look at the standard BIOS included with Bochs, as well.
The idea is a good idea, though I agree, it should be in the BIOS, not in the Bochs tree.