All off topic discussions go here. Everything from the funny thing your cat did to your favorite tv shows. Non-programming computer questions are ok too.
How about the other arch servers - They have several MB ram, but no x86 support, no fdd, and often no vga. Yet they do over a billon operations a second your P3 won't be able to get to
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
And installing from CD isn't hard. I have, on hand, a WfW 3.11 CD. (Among pirated copies of any Windows you can think of, and/or easy access to them....)
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
Troy Martin wrote:O.o you develop on windows 3.11?
And installing from CD isn't hard. I have, on hand, a WfW 3.11 CD. (Among pirated copies of any Windows you can think of, and/or easy access to them....)
So is mine; that's not really a feat. A DOS 6.22 floppy with an autoexec.bat, format.com, and FDISK is all you need. Then you play with your favourite CD burning software and presto! Bootable Windows 3.1 CD.
*goes back to writing a menu for the aforementioned CD in QuickBASIC*
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.
Know what surprises me most about the above picture?
No, not that someone is masochistic enough to develop in an emulator. Though that is surprising.
That someone, on an OS Dev forum, which I expected to be full of people with above average knowledge of system maintainance, is still running IE6 as their main browser.
Writing an OS under Menuet is possible. MenuetOS has all the tools to make an OS. But I don't think that is a good environment.
On the other hand, I hate Internet Explorer (especially IE6). I had many virus and other dirts with it.
And how is it soooo surprising to se someone develop in an emulator??
What if i have to look something up??
HUH
PS:This is my developing computer, so it is not going to have all of the best software on it
I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto.
You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all,
we're all alike.
NickG: don't invite people to flame you by flaming/taunting them.
Owen: I use VirtualBox (virtualization) to run Xubuntu, on which I develop TBOS32. It's not that odd.
Solar wrote:It keeps stunning me how friendly we - as a community - are towards people who start programming "their first OS" who don't even have a solid understanding of pointers, their compiler, or how a OS is structured.