Which operatingsystem gives you inspiration for your own one?
I begin
I like the simple user-interface of Mac OS 8. When I saw that OS in 1999 I wanted to development my own one. At that time I didn't like Unix. Now I like it very much, but there are still things in Unix I don't like in a general-purpose operatingsystem.
The older Mac OS versions (below 7) are mostly written in assembly language and are very fast. I also like OS 9 which looks like OS 8. But technically they suck. No protection against buggy applications, bad multitasting, etc..etc..
Mac OS X is technically ok, but slow, bloated and I don't like the interface. A goot compromise between the modern OS X and old Mac OS is Rhapsody. I managed to get a version of this obscure operatingsystem, that runs on an old bluewhire PowerMac G3. The system is great but it isn't complete.
Technically the best operatingsystem ever is BeOS. Too bad the original source code is owned by a company that doesn't to anything with it. It had to be given to the community. But I don't like C++ and OOP, and BeOS is full of it.
Overall the best current operatingsystem is in my opinion FreeBSD. As a server it's great. It can handle every protocol and service, it serves DOS machines like an old Novell server, Windows by Samba, it can do Appletalk and every internet service. It's fast and clean, and in my opinion easier to really understand than Linux. And everything is free! It's also a good desktop for expert computer-users with enough Unix-knowledge.



