FiwixOS 3.5 released!

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
Post Reply
User avatar
Mikaku
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:29 am
Libera.chat IRC: Mikaku
Location: Catalonia
Contact:

FiwixOS 3.5 released!

Post by Mikaku »

Hello everyone,

Today, I'm pleased to announce the release of FiwixOS 3.5.
The major highlights in this release are:

Fiwix kernel version 1.7.0.
Newlib C library version 4.5.0 with the following extra changes:
  • Added the system call sys_syslog.
    Added the following functions:
    posix_openpt
    granpt
    unlockpt
    ptsname
    openpty
    getdtablesize
    setlogmask
    closelog
    openlog
    syslog
    vsyslog
    klogctl
    setpgrp
    Added the following C headers:
    pty.h
    sgtty.h (stub)
    values.h
    syslog.h
    sys/klog.h
    sys/ttydefaults.h
    bits/posix_opt.h
    Added the following constants in paths.h:
    _PATH_DEVPTMX
    _PATH_DEVPTS
    _PATH_LOG
    Increased OPEN_MAX from 64 to 256.
Added support for UNIX98 pseudoterminals (pty).
Added support for the devpts filesystem.
Added support for system logging.
Improved PCI driver and added PCI information in /proc filesystem.
Improvements and bug fixes in the system environment.

Check the complete release notes at https://www.fiwix.org/news/20251115.html
As always, I'll appreciate any feedback if you install FiwixOS 3.5.
Thanks!
thewrongchristian
Member
Member
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:44 am

Re: FiwixOS 3.5 released!

Post by thewrongchristian »

Mikaku wrote: ↑Sat Nov 15, 2025 2:10 pm Hello everyone,

Today, I'm pleased to announce the release of FiwixOS 3.5.
The major highlights in this release are:

,,,

Check the complete release notes at https://www.fiwix.org/news/20251115.html
As always, I'll appreciate any feedback if you install FiwixOS 3.5.
Thanks!
As usual at this time of year, kudos to your efforts, I love this little system. I've only had the briefest play today, but it was nice booting up a floppy image in QEMU and having a proper shell to play with.

What plans going forward? Any window system port in the works?
User avatar
Mikaku
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:29 am
Libera.chat IRC: Mikaku
Location: Catalonia
Contact:

Re: FiwixOS 3.5 released!

Post by Mikaku »

As usual at this time of year, kudos to your efforts, I love this little system. I've only had the briefest play today, but it was nice booting up a floppy image in QEMU and having a proper shell to play with.
Thank you very much, I'm really glad to know you are enjoying it.
What plans going forward? Any window system port in the works?
Well, my main plan for the next 1.8 version is only one: to add networking support.
This is a huge challenge. Fortunately there is some people from https://github.com/fosslinux/live-bootstrap that is willing to help on this, since they use Fiwix as part of that project (I recommend you to take a look to it, if you haven't done already).

They have suggested to include the https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/lwip/ TCP/IP network stack on Fiwix, so this will be the first try. We'll see. This is a long journey that starts just now.

If we succeed, I'd really like to try to port XFree86 or even Xorg, so it will be then relatively easy to port some Window Managers, or even Desktop Environments.

As always, time will say (crossing fingers).
Post Reply