Nos – a hobby x86-64 C++ OS kernel running on real KVM clouds

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
Post Reply
irqlevel
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 2:57 am

Nos – a hobby x86-64 C++ OS kernel running on real KVM clouds

Post by irqlevel »

Hi OSDev,

I want to share Nos, a hobby x86-64 OS kernel I’ve been working on.

Repo: https://github.com/irqlevel/nos

It runs in QEMU/KVM — and also boots on real cloud VMs (I’ve tested it on Google Cloud using KVM-based instances e2-medium).

I started this mainly because I wanted to learn kernel development properly, and studying the Linux kernel feels pretty overwhelming these days. It’s huge, highly optimized, and hard to follow end-to-end. So I decided to build something smaller but still realistic.

nos is written in C++20 + NASM and currently has:

SMP + preemptive scheduler for kernel tasks (no user-mode yet)

virtual memory (4-level paging, high-half kernel)

interrupts + basic ACPI

PCI scan/probing + virtio drivers (blk + scsi + net + rng)

IPv4/TCP, DHCP, DNS, UDP, ARP, ICMP, simple HTTP client

small filesystem (auto-mount) + shell (including remote)

timekeeping (pit, tsc, kvm clock, rtc)

Image

This is mostly a learning project, but I tried to keep the design clean and readable while still being close to how real systems work. I’d really appreciate any feedback, especially on scheduler design, memory management, or networking.

Thanks for reading.
Post Reply