Announcement: tomOSii -- my hobby os project

This forums is for OS project announcements including project openings, new releases, update notices, test requests, and job openings (both paying and volunteer).
Post Reply
tomosii
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2026 2:08 pm

Announcement: tomOSii -- my hobby os project

Post by tomosii »

Hi,

I’d like to announce tomOSii, a hobby operating system project I’m working on.

tomOSii currently targets x86_64 and runs under QEMU. It uses a monolithic kernel, is written mostly in C, with the usual bits of assembly where needed. The project is very much a work in progress; at the moment it consists of various subsystems at different stages of completeness.

The main goal of the project is to explore and experiment with the core components that make up an operating system, and to better understand the design and trade-offs involved. As such, the focus is more on learning and clarity than on producing a polished or feature-complete system.

A summary of what exists so far (boot process, memory management, kernel infrastructure, etc.) can be found here:

- https://tomos.codeberg.page/tomOSii-doc/os/

The code is licensed under GPLv2 and hosted on Codeberg:

- Repository: https://codeberg.org/tomOS/tomOSii
- Documentation: https://tomos.codeberg.page/tomOSii-doc

One motivation behind this project is as an experiment to help inform a potential future course on operating systems, so feedback on structure, design decisions, or anything that could be improved or clarified from an educational point of view would be especially welcome.

Cheers,
Tom
sounds
Member
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Announcement: tomOSii -- my hobby os project

Post by sounds »

Very cool! I read the docs. I think I understood as well as anyone what the docs were there for, and from them I understood what the os is. The only minor feedback I could think of is it might be helpful to add some illustrations at the main points in the docs.
tomosii
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2026 2:08 pm

Re: Announcement: tomOSii -- my hobby os project

Post by tomosii »

Thanks for the feedback! The docs are more of a work in progress than tomOSii. I will add figures where necessary while refactoring the os and adding docs.
Post Reply