Page 1 of 1

The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:10 am
by devm15
Hello there everyone! :D
I'm devm15, and I decided to torture myself by making an OS! Hooray!
Today I decided to release it publicly EARLIER than planned because my RING 3 SPACE INVADERS CLONE KEEPS DYING TO AN INVALID OPCODE and I have officially decided this is now everyone else's problem too.
sry intrusive thoughts
AND I want you to poke it with a stick!
anyways BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:40 am
by iansjack
It's a little difficult for anyone to poke your OS with a stick when you provide no link to it. Do you have a repository of the source that we can see?

But, no - bugs are your problem exclusively, no-one else's.

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:21 am
by devm15
yea i have a link, i forgot to include it - whoopsies
Also i was joking about it being everyone's problem, but seriously I don't know what's going on
Also here you go:
https://github.com/devm15x/Redux

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:27 pm
by Octocontrabass
devm15 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:21 amAlso i was joking about it being everyone's problem, but seriously I don't know what's going on
Well, what debugging have you done so far? You already know it's an invalid opcode. What is the address of the invalid opcode? Which opcode is it?

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:11 am
by devm15
It's a #UD

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:13 am
by devm15
Oh wait, you meant the RIP
Problem is, Redux doesn't have a really good program crash reporter :?
Well, it gives you the vector, but, thats pretty much it
I'll implement it and give you a response

Re: The Redux Kernel - my little OS

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:08 pm
by iansjack
Aren't you using a VM to test and debug the software? A very good idea to do that initially before moving to real hardware. That way you could use gdb to pinpoint the exact location of the error and view the state of the machine at that point.