OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Describe your dream OS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 am 

my dream os boots fast, and has a clear and easy-to-use api. there's no duplicate function in its library and all of them are well documented. also it has a beauty gui. it's a user-friendly and programmer-friendly os.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:57 am 

My dream OS should boot in seconds even off of my relatively slow hard drive.
It should have the ability to launch user applications.
Its UI should be dark and flat with slightly rounded corners.
It should have some built-in way to quickly write your own programs in an easy to learn and use language like Python for all your everyday needs.
It should be UEFI-only and x86-64-only.

So, the thing that I've just described is the goal for my OS too. Because who would design an OS in such a way that they don't like it themselves?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:12 am 

mmdmine wrote:
my dream os boots fast, and has a clear and easy-to-use api. there's no duplicate function in its library and all of them are well documented. also it has a beauty gui. it's a user-friendly and programmer-friendly os.

Unfortunately, you haven't said anything there. Nobody wishes for their OS to take half an hour to boot, and have an obtuse API, lots of barely-different functions, all of them undocumented, an absolute pig of a GUI, and neither users no programmers want to work with it. All of the buzzwords you gave sound good to hear, but don't really convey meaning. How much do you want fast boot times, or rather, are you willing to compromise on functionality for the sake of faster boot times, and to what extent?

Ease of use for an API is supremely subjective. I hear there are even people who like the BSD socket API. Most others think the people who came up with it must have been drunk. Or high. It was the seventies, after all.

Duplication of functionality is often a result of evolution. E.g. Linux has system calls fork(), vfork(), and clone(), the latter being a superset of both fork() and vfork(). It was developed later. Keeping the fork() system call around, however, allows binaries originally built for Linux 0.1 to run on a laptop from this year. So are you saying you would compromise on compatibility for the sake of trimming fat from your system calls? This stance has merit, if you don't think your OS will be around for long, or the userspace will just be rebuilt every so often. It does allow for a leaner kernel.

Also, user-friendliness and programmer-friendliness are often at odds. How do you wish to achieve the former? One way would be to force programmers to all use the same widget tool kit, leading to a consistent look and feel across all applications (like e.g. Mac OS does), but programmers are not going to find you forcing things on them very friendly. I personally dislike developing for Android, just because then I have to use Java, and the only aspect of Java I like is that its inception indirectly lead to RAM prices dropping like a stone (since it is so memory-hungry).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:25 am 

@nullplan boot time depends on system resources. for an average system 15 seconds may be good.
your right. i didn't described in details. actually i dont know what i need myself, but i like speed and stability with good user exprience.
compalibility is needed but it make things difficult and unstable. we can still patch older programs to be compatible with newer OSes.
java on android is a bit different, that high memory usage is for jvm and android doesnt have. also android uses kotlin instead of java since 2 years ago.