OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to make a compiler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:25 pm 

It's literally just lots of graph problems; graph coloring, vertex reachability, etc. Prove me wrong.

Post subject: Re: How to make a compiler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:31 pm 

Actually, in terms of the time spent, the dominant part of most compilers is the lexical analyzer - which in most cases, amounts to a Deterministic Finite State Automaton, whether formally constructed or as an ad-hoc equivalent. Either way, I would have a lot of trouble seeing that as a graph coloring problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:50 pm 

mariuszp wrote:
It's literally just lots of graph problems; graph coloring, vertex reachability, etc.

Only if your compiler is an optimizing one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 am 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
Actually, in terms of the time spent, the dominant part of most compilers is the lexical analyzer - which in most cases, amounts to a Deterministic Finite State Automaton, whether formally constructed or as an ad-hoc equivalent. Either way, I would have a lot of trouble seeing that as a graph coloring problem.

That's only true if you either use an existing backend or don't care about optimization. Lexical analysis is solved and there are so many algorithms to do it easily: recursive descend, PEG, LR parsers generators, or even Earley parsers that can handle any CFG.

mariuszp wrote:
It's literally just lots of graph problems; graph coloring, vertex reachability, etc. Prove me wrong.

A LLVM-style Greedy RA is superior to graph coloring RAs in practice, prove me wrong. Graph coloring just cannot easily handle non-homogeneuos register files (and of course, it's also quite expensive). When I wrote an implementation (only a bit over 1k SLOC, can do live range splitting but not register spilling right now) inspired by the LLVM one, I was surprised (i) how natural it is, and (ii) how good the results are if you tune it a bit (for smallish functions with only a few basic blocks/variables, the result is often optimal). It's incredibly easy to tune -- when you see a missed optimization, it's usually straightforward to see how to extend the RA to handle it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 am 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:

All problems in NP have a polynomial-time reduction to graph coloring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 am 

mariuszp wrote:
Schol-R-LEA wrote:

All problems in NP have a polynomial-time reduction to graph coloring.

facepalm I can't believe I fell for that. Yeah, that can describe more or less any practical algorithm, can't it (as P is a subset of NP).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:04 pm 

Doesn't hold when you want to parse C++. (And context-sensitivity gives you a PSPACE-complete problem.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:56 pm 

There is probably a pretty obvious reason why P is a strict subset of NP, which nobody thought of, because it's "too obvious".