OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 am
Posts: 41
I am taking a Computer operations/IT class at school and we got a project to do that is due in May, we have to plan/build a non-conventional PC (not a standard case) and my team on the project decided that we do a shadowbox PC (those large, deep transparent glass frames that you see in hobby stores).

What is all your personal opinions on my team project?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:53 pm
Posts: 1005
Location: Scotland
Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:34 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:24 am
Posts: 169
DavidCooper wrote:
Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?

I was looking for a polite way of bringing that general idea across, but thankfully now I don't have to anymore.

If I was tasked with building an unconventional PC, it would probably have a weird CPU architecture, say Microblaze, and an OS no-one's ever heard of. And as web browser it would exclusively run Netscape Navigator or something. Hey, "useful" wasn't in the list of criteria.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 am
Posts: 41
DavidCooper wrote:
Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?

Wow. What are you talking about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 am
Posts: 41
nullplan wrote:
DavidCooper wrote:
Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?

I was looking for a polite way of bringing that general idea across, but thankfully now I don't have to anymore.

If I was tasked with building an unconventional PC, it would probably have a weird CPU architecture, say Microblaze, and an OS no-one's ever heard of. And as web browser it would exclusively run Netscape Navigator or something. Hey, "useful" wasn't in the list of criteria.

That wasn't even the point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 am
Posts: 941
Seahorse wrote:
nullplan wrote:
DavidCooper wrote:
Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?

I was looking for a polite way of bringing that general idea across, but thankfully now I don't have to anymore.

If I was tasked with building an unconventional PC, it would probably have a weird CPU architecture, say Microblaze, and an OS no-one's ever heard of. And as web browser it would exclusively run Netscape Navigator or something. Hey, "useful" wasn't in the list of criteria.

That wasn't even the point.


It looks like the first attempt to communicate it failed. Try again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:31 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 am
Posts: 41
I should have communicated this better.

In the class we are assigned to assemble PC components in some other item like a fishtank or VCR. One group in a previous year even assembled a working guitar PC. The components are of course standard though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 am
Posts: 941
Seahorse wrote:
I should have communicated this better.

In the class we are assigned to assemble PC components in some other item like a fishtank or VCR. One group in a previous year even assembled a working guitar PC. The components are of course standard though.


Well, that'll do for an artsy section of our forum. :)

What does it have to do with programming or OS dev though?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am
Posts: 3344
Location: Chichester, UK
alexfru wrote:
What does it have to do with programming or OS dev though?

Quote:
General Ramblings
All off topic discussions go here. Everything from the funny thing your cat did to your favorite tv shows. Non-programming computer questions are ok too.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group