OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm
Posts: 1
Brendan wrote:
Being worthy of moderation has nothing to do with being able to demonstrate an ability to write an OS

It surely does when you ban people because - as you say - they are spreading misinformation about OSdev.

I'm a respected member of the developer community, have been for more than 30 years. So was I at MegaTokio. I was
respected on this forum too, for many many years, until you came and started to talk non-sense about my filesystem
design. And - as it's the norm in a civilized dispute - I defended my design choices with technical reasons. I've even
provided PoC. You replied with personal insults (just like the ones in this thread) and you simply banned me, because
you were too selfish and egoist to face the fact that you were mistaken. You have even deleted the full topic to hide your tracks.
But you haven't deleted YOUR shitty FS from the wiki, or moved under your personal page, despite the fact all of your
arguments against my fs applied to that too.

Now it turns out you have nothing to back up your so-called experience, you are in no position to judge a technical
achievement (specially not against a working PoC). Which makes me wonder, who is the real troll here?

Kind regards,
bzt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:00 am
Posts: 8515
Location: At his keyboard!
Hi,

bzt4321 wrote:
Brendan wrote:
Being worthy of moderation has nothing to do with being able to demonstrate an ability to write an OS

It surely does when you ban people because - as you say - they are spreading misinformation about OSdev.


You were banned because you were being an arrogant fool, were warned, ignored the warning and became hostile.

bzt4321 wrote:
I'm a respected member of the developer community, have been for more than 30 years. So was I at MegaTokio. I was
respected on this forum too, for many many years, until you came and started to talk non-sense about my filesystem
design.


It wasn't "several years" - you were on these forums for less than 1 year before being banned (1st post was November 2016, last was July 2017). Nobody can know if you were at MegaTokyo or not (and it'd be very easy to lie about that too). I have no idea if anyone respected you here or anywhere else. I tried to help you with your file system design by pointing out issues that (in my opinion) could have been improved (some of these things you argued about and then agreed with, and some you just argued about).

bzt4321 wrote:
You have even deleted the full topic to hide your tracks.
But you haven't deleted YOUR shitty FS from the wiki, or moved under your personal page, despite the fact all of your
arguments against my fs applied to that too.


We've been over this before, you just don't want to remember. The facts are that my file system was designed for a very specific/restricted purpose (transferring files between different operating systems) while yours was not; and I never put my file system on the wiki at all.

bzt4321 wrote:
Now it turns out you have nothing to back up your so-called experience, you are in no position to judge a technical
achievement (specially not against a working PoC). Which makes me wonder, who is the real troll here?


Obviously you are still the troll, "demanding" proof that is mostly irrelevant anyway, and then getting annoyed when you realise you deserve none.

Of course I have been foolish - feeding trolls is never a good idea and is probably part of the reason you keep coming back. For this reason, from now on your posts will be deleted without any response.


Cheers,

Brendan

_________________
For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:40 am
Posts: 454
Location: Athens, Greece
Hi,


If being a member of an OS development community is so crucial for you, you might have a better chance hanging out on IRC (note that Brendan doesn't moderate there, but is present nevertheless). It's #osdev at irc.freenode.net.

The conditions are as follows:
  • Don't talk about the ban from the osdev forums, neither here nor on IRC. It's a thing of the past and we are supposed to move forward.
  • Don't attack people with opposing views. Note: This is a proactive measure to avoid escalations that lead to bans (like the escalation that led to your initial ban here).
  • Be mostly on topic.

Failure to comply with the above conditions will lead to warnings and/or bans.


Regards,
glauxosdever

_________________
Before implementing any piece of software, make sure you have designed it to be extendable. Backporting new features into old code is not always easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:42 am
Posts: 1311
Location: Athens, GA, USA
bzt5432 wrote:
Whoa, censoring the truth, like a real dictator?


Forum moderators are dictators by definition. That's their job.

Let me repeat something I have said many times before: there is no such thing as free speech on a privately-operated forum. Free speech is a political matter, and even in that arena, it exists less as a right and more as a gesture of politeness combined with a form of mutually assured destruction pact.

It simply isn't a factor in a place like this.

'Free speech' on a privately-run forum is only a gesture of politeness, that gesture being 'setting up a place people can post what they have to say' itself. And the moderators get unchallenged say in what acceptable.

If Brendan, or any of the other mods, want to delete or edit something, for any reason or no reason at all, they have every right to, and indeed an obligation to do so. For someone who is thus moderated, the only real option is to go somewhere else - or maybe set up your own forum. Not because the moderator is an @$$, but because we all post on this forum or any other at the pleasure of the mods.

This should be obvious, but somehow, most people don't get this.

_________________
Rev. First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 LCF ELF JAM POEE KoR KCO PPWMTF
μή εἶναι βασιλικήν ἀτραπόν ἐπί γεωμετρίαν
Lisp programmers tend to seem very odd to outsiders, just like anyone else who has had a religious experience they can't quite explain to others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am
Posts: 3264
Location: Chichester, UK
I've got to agree with you there. Time after time I have seen people whine about "freedom of speech" when moderated on a forum. It's like visiting someone's home - if they ask you to take off your muddy boots you don't argue about your freedom to wear what you like. You take off your muddy boots. If that's not acceptable you get out of their house and don't come back.

Forums are not democracies, and it is not compulsory to visit them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revoking permission
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am
Posts: 3264
Location: Chichester, UK
I'd suggest you read this rule
Quote:
8: Please consider your future
Other people will form an opinion of you based on what you've written. This includes people who can help you when you're having problems, people who might volunteer to write software for your OS one day, and occasionally even potential employers. These forums have been around for a long time and will be around for a lot longer; and anyone can search through all of your posts and see everything you have written, all the way back to your very first post.

The moderators may help others follow the rules above in a variety of ways; including moving posts to other forums to improve the chance of getting good replies, by deleting posts that the poster may find embarrassing in future, by locking posts to prevent opinions of people who would otherwise reply from being adversely effected, and (in serious cases, typically preceded by friendly warnings) by banning members accounts (either temporarily or permanently) to protect that member's reputation from excessive damage.
and consider how your posts here will appear to a potential employer.

I'd recommend that you stop being rude about other before you harm yourself further.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group