Does anyone here use Reddit?
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:56 pm
It's a pretty cool website, but can get ugly fast.. I use it a ton. What are your favorite subreddits? I specifically like /r/talesfromtechsupport, /r/tifu, and /r/askscience! 
The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
https://forum.osdev.org/
Try flushing your internet explorer cache.SWGDev wrote:I've always wondered: how the hell did reddit survive with such awful UI? Of course now I'm used to it, but it looks like a website from 90s.
I'm with you, Artlav. People have said this so much that I think it's just become a stupid meme. Nobody says this **** about, say, hacker news. Or tumblr. Have you seen a tumblog? Good jesus.I've always wondered: how the hell did reddit survive with such awful UI? Of course now I'm used to it, but it looks like a website from 90s.
You don't, and that's not the intention. You just skim it for the parts you're interested in. No idea how huge comment sections would work on a screenreader though. I mean, how well does it handle nested comment chains in the first place?how are you ever supposed to keep up with everything that's going on?
That doesn't work well with my OCDjojo wrote:You don't, and that's not the intention. You just skim it for the parts you're interested in.
It doesn't. I can't hear what's nested inside what unless the developer makes sure that his website is properly accessible (which most developers don't) and that's why sites such as reddit don't work particularly well for screenreader users. The best solution would actually be to have some sort of XML format which describes the comments in a way that a client-side application can present them to the user in an accessible manner (such as allowing the user to easily navigate up/down/in/out the chain, report what nesting level the current comment is at, report the author, date, associated website url, etc.), but that's a long way off.jojo wrote:No idea how huge comment sections would work on a screenreader though. I mean, how well does it handle nested comment chains in the first place?
I guess it's because of my big break in using any forum-like websites. I'm used to phpBB- or vbulletin-powered forums which I've been using in the late 2000s. IMHO - they have clearer structure.jojo wrote:I'm with you, Artlav. People have said this so much that I think it's just become a stupid meme. Nobody says this **** about, say, hacker news. Or tumblr. Have you seen a tumblog? Good jesus.I've always wondered: how the hell did reddit survive with such awful UI? Of course now I'm used to it, but it looks like a website from 90s.
How is it dead? It's a slow forum, but nowhere near dead.jojo wrote:[...] It's dead as hell for the most part, though. Even more so than this place.
Of course, I forgot that reddit has so many third-party frontends and an API. I should try it, actually - maybe I could develop a console client, which would be both accessible to blind users and preferred by Linux geeks, and put it on GitHub.jojo wrote:That actually might be a super doable application. The reddit website itself is just a frontend that consumes JSON data from the reddit api. Should be pretty trivial to write an application that consumes the JSON in the manner you describe. Sounds like a pretty fun project, actually.