Cheap Ebay goods
Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:45 pm
I seem to be having a problem recently with cheap goods that I've bought on eBay (from various Hong Kong sellers) that simply do not work (I apologize if you're from Hong Kong). So far they have been:
- DVI-A to VGA adapter - a mound of plastic with 2 connectors floating loosely in it.
- HDMI to VGA adapter - not possible since you're converting a digital->analogue signal and you'd need some sort of DAC, but I gave the cable a chance, and it seemed like whoever made it connected both ends up randomly.
- 1m HDMI cable ($3 compared to $50 in local stores) - doesn't work at all.. I don't know why but I suspect the worst.
The only thing that has worked is a VGA gender changer. I'm going to limit my purchasing to brand name products from now on.
- DVI-A to VGA adapter - a mound of plastic with 2 connectors floating loosely in it.
- HDMI to VGA adapter - not possible since you're converting a digital->analogue signal and you'd need some sort of DAC, but I gave the cable a chance, and it seemed like whoever made it connected both ends up randomly.
- 1m HDMI cable ($3 compared to $50 in local stores) - doesn't work at all.. I don't know why but I suspect the worst.
The only thing that has worked is a VGA gender changer. I'm going to limit my purchasing to brand name products from now on.