Page 1 of 1

Your college's OS syllabus

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:52 pm
by leledumbo
I'm wondering, what are the contents of other universities syllabus for OS? Does it include licensing (which IMHO shouldn't be there, but in another one talking about software legality and law).

Re: Your college's OS syllabus

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:42 pm
by earlz
I'm in a 2 year college so I sadly don't have any kind of OS class :P

Hoping I'll have one in at the next school I go to to complete my BA

Re: Your college's OS syllabus

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:58 pm
by frank
I attend North Carolina State University and none of our Operating System course syllabus's seem to have anything about licensing in them.

Here are a few of the Syllabus's
http://courses.ncsu.edu/csc244/lec/601/syllabus.html
http://courses.ncsu.edu/csc501/lec/601/Syllabus.htm

and a schedule for one of them
http://courses.ncsu.edu/csc244/lec/601/

Re: Your college's OS syllabus

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:55 am
by leledumbo
Hmm... I guess it's just to make the syllabus look 'full' because we don't implement any os, instead we learn unix.

Re: Your college's OS syllabus

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:55 am
by Solar
No OS syllabus. No college. ;-)

Well, actually, I attended the b.i.b. International College, but for Business CS in an 18-month class schedule. System / OS CS wasn't offered there.

We had some lessons in business law, but nothing regarding licensing. They usually assume you will be employed (instead of working freelance / unaffiliated), and that your company will have a legal department deciding on stuff like licensing.

The vast majority of employments is in the Closed Source world, anyway...