Page 1 of 1

Best thing to write an ebook in?

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:30 am
by earlz
Hello, I am thinking about writing a little ebook type thing. I need to put code with syntax highlighting(multiple languages) in it and I don't want to have a lot of "overhead" with typing(like there is with html). Also a converter to PDF and HTML would be really nice..

I thought about if LaTex would do this, but I'm aware it has a certain amount of a learning curve.. so I would prefer a WYSIWYG editor..

Re: Best thing to write an ebook in?

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:49 am
by AJ
Hi,

For syntax highlighting on web pages, I have always used GeSHi. I just did a search and came up with GeSHi for Openoffice which I haven't used, but sounds exactly like what you are looking for. As a bonus, OO.org can export directly to PDF.

Cheers,
Adam

Re: Best thing to write an ebook in?

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:51 am
by zman97211
Why not simply use a WYSIWYG editor and "print" to a PDF?

If you use Windows, PDFCreator acts like a printer but makes PDF files, and is free. Everyone has a PDF viewer as far as I know.

Re: Best thing to write an ebook in?

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:29 am
by earlz
AJ wrote:Hi,

For syntax highlighting on web pages, I have always used GeSHi. I just did a search and came up with GeSHi for Openoffice which I haven't used, but sounds exactly like what you are looking for. As a bonus, OO.org can export directly to PDF.

Cheers,
Adam
That isn't working for me(OO crashes), though I'll try getting an updated version of OO a little later and giving it a whirl..

and I know there are lots of Print To PDF type things, just the syntax highlighting is the really big thing.. I know sometimes you can copy and paste between an IDE and OO and it preserves formatting, but it usually looks a little funky