Page 1 of 2

CPU ramblings (was: Photos of you guys)

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:33 am
by salil_bhagurkar
@Solar: Where are the intel manuals? Don't spoil your son.. ;)

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 am
by Solar
salil_bhagurkar wrote:@Solar: Where are the intel manuals?
On my bookshelf. :-)
Don't spoil your son.. ;)
Well, I try to keep him away from my laptop for now, at least until he stops drooling on the touchpad. :-D

There's a slim hope that, by the time he gets into the proper age, IA32 will be history, and something else but x86_64 ruling the market. I don't know what it should be, my hopes of the PPC making it big have been dashed, but the Intel architecture simply is no fun.

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:37 am
by earlz
Solar wrote:
salil_bhagurkar wrote:@Solar: Where are the intel manuals?
On my bookshelf. :-)
Don't spoil your son.. ;)
Well, I try to keep him away from my laptop for now, at least until he stops drooling on the touchpad. :-D

There's a slim hope that, by the time he gets into the proper age, IA32 will be history, and something else but x86_64 ruling the market. I don't know what it should be, my hopes of the PPC making it big have been dashed, but the Intel architecture simply is no fun.
Well ARM doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, and I heard there are ARM netbooks in progress.. so maybe he can mess with that lol

OT:
Will there ever be/is there a 64bit ARM CPU?

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:06 am
by Solar
earlz wrote:Will there ever be/is there a 64bit ARM CPU?
I doubt it. About the only processor family (that I know of) that has evolved through multiple bus sizes is the x86 one. All others stick with what they've been designed to be, and leave the next iteration to new designs.

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:35 am
by Coty
I think the 32-bit ARM CPU is fine, since mainly it is used in tiny system's eg: cell phones, digital cameras, etc. You don't really need 64bits for that.

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:09 am
by jal
Solar wrote:I doubt it. About the only processor family (that I know of) that has evolved through multiple bus sizes is the x86 one. All others stick with what they've been designed to be, and leave the next iteration to new designs.
MIPS has a 64-bit version as well, iirc. PowerPC has both 32 and 64-bit versions.


JAL

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:52 am
by earlz
Coddy wrote:I think the 32-bit ARM CPU is fine, since mainly it is used in tiny system's eg: cell phones, digital cameras, etc. You don't really need 64bits for that.
It's fine right now, but in a year or two we may be approaching the limits of 32bit as fast as things are developing...

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am
by Coty
Yes, that may be true, but as I see it my phone itself seems to be using 16 bit colors and has only a few meg of RAM, Samsung is probably thinking that they wont have to add more to anything as long as people keep buying what they already have :?:

And, ARM is saying the same thing, so we could keep using the same 32bit for years, it is all based on demand.

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm
by jal
earlz wrote:It's fine right now, but in a year or two we may be approaching the limits of 32bit as fast as things are developing...
There is no approaching the 32-bit limit for said devices. Not even for a desktop OS, imho. Servers are a different beast, but ARM is not into that.


JAL

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 pm
by earlz
jal wrote:
earlz wrote:It's fine right now, but in a year or two we may be approaching the limits of 32bit as fast as things are developing...
There is no approaching the 32-bit limit for said devices. Not even for a desktop OS, imho. Servers are a different beast, but ARM is not into that.


JAL
ARM wasn't designed for it.. but have you looked around recently? nearly every new computer comes with 2GB.... DEFAULT! Another year and it's 4GB, the limit of true 32bit(yea there is that hack called PAE, but still) so I definitely say Desktops need 64bit, and servers have needed 64bit since the 686 came out practically..

I'm ready to see a portable gaming system that is 64bit..

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:07 pm
by madeofstaples
earlz wrote:
jal wrote:
earlz wrote:It's fine right now, but in a year or two we may be approaching the limits of 32bit as fast as things are developing...
There is no approaching the 32-bit limit for said devices. Not even for a desktop OS, imho. Servers are a different beast, but ARM is not into that.


JAL
ARM wasn't designed for it.. but have you looked around recently? nearly every new computer comes with 2GB.... DEFAULT! Another year and it's 4GB, the limit of true 32bit(yea there is that hack called PAE, but still) so I definitely say Desktops need 64bit, and servers have needed 64bit since the 686 came out practically..

I'm ready to see a portable gaming system that is 64bit..
32- or 64-bit doesn't imply width of the address lines; PAE isn't appropriately referred to as "a hack." 32-bit processors suit portable electronics well when considering restraints such as power usage.

Considering the netbook trend, that would be a reasonable place to move to 64-bit processors, but not until several other supporting technologies are developed farther themselves; e.g, the Atoms with 64-bit support are intended for desktops.

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:44 pm
by jal
earlz wrote:nearly every new computer comes with 2GB.... DEFAULT! Another year and it's 4GB, the limit of true 32bit
So? The fact that RAM is so incredibly cheap that you can get 4GB without a thought doesn't mean you actually need it, right? And PAE is not a 'hack', as madeofstaples already pointed out.


JAL

Re: Photos of you guys

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:35 pm
by Thor
How did a topic about Real-Life photos of the forum members turn into a discussion about RAM?

Re: CPU ramblings (was: Photos of you guys)

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:37 pm
by Combuster
Way ahead of you :)

Re: CPU ramblings (was: Photos of you guys)

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:41 pm
by Malevol3nt
Ed: Funny, I tried to reply but someone must of changed the topic. :D

Anyway..

I bought some 3 gigs of ram along with a new mobo & CPU a year ago. And you know what? I almost never use more then 1GB of ram at a given time. Now when I look back, I think I could of saved some money by buying a set of 1GB ram + some 500MB extra just in case. I'm not even pushing my CPU all that hard either, it's an AMD x2 5600 (2.8Ghz) and it still hasn't let me down with any new apps or games.