OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 264
I implemented support for VirtualBox's "Seamless" mode. It doesn't work perfectly with my default decoration theme, since the shadows are a baked-in part of the borders.

I wrote a quick blurb on it in the wiki. It's a pretty simple interface.

Image

_________________
gitlab | twitter | ToaruOS | PonyOS 5.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 am
Posts: 23
My windows now have minimise buttons, but no taskbar to minimise to :(
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 264
nakst wrote:
My windows now have minimise buttons, but no taskbar to minimise to :(

Hi nakst, your UI is really impressive! Do you have any pre-built release images I can try? I had trouble with your build tools the last time I tried to use them.

Also, I noticed you moved to bitbucket but left your github repository with a notice as its HEAD - why not just push to both? I moved to Gitlab myself a few months ago but I still push to github as a mirror - the great thing about git is you can push to multiple remotes and keep them all in sync.

Also-also, I see you describe your OS as "completely from scratch" but your userspace seems to be based on Musl, freetype, and a number of stb libraries - that seems misleading to me (especially as someone who has made an effort to turn a "mostly-from-scratch" OS with similar third-party elements in its userspace into a completely-from-scratch OS with no third-party code).

_________________
gitlab | twitter | ToaruOS | PonyOS 5.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 am
Posts: 23
klange wrote:
Hi nakst, your UI is really impressive! Do you have any pre-built release images I can try? I had trouble with your build tools the last time I tried to use them.

Sorry, there are no releases yet. The project is still too early in development. However, much of the build tools have been improved recently, so perhaps you could try again?

klange wrote:
also, I noticed you moved to bitbucket but left your github repository with a notice as its HEAD - why not just push to both? I moved to Gitlab myself a few months ago but I still push to github as a mirror - the great thing about git is you can push to multiple remotes and keep them all in sync.

Two reasons: I don't know how git works, and I don't want my OS hosted on a service owned by Microsoft.

klange wrote:
, I see you describe your OS as "completely from scratch" but your userspace seems to be based on Musl, freetype, and a number of stb libraries - that seems misleading to me (especially as someone who has made an effort to turn a "mostly-from-scratch" OS with similar third-party elements in its userspace into a completely-from-scratch OS with no third-party code).

For me, "from scratch" is more about design. The OS is not a Unix clone - unlike many others. I'm also trying to replace many outdated OS concepts and replace them with new ones, although few of these have been implemented yet.
But I'll be happy to admit the word "completely" is possibly exaggeration. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 am
Posts: 229
nakst wrote:
My windows now have minimise buttons, but no taskbar to minimise to :(

Are we reenacting Windows 2.x/3.x? :​P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 264
nakst wrote:
Sorry, there are no releases yet. The project is still too early in development. However, much of the build tools have been improved recently, so perhaps you could try again?

No dice, and your build system is not very friendly to trying to rebuild - your manual patching is particularly scary. I was hoping you could just upload an ISO somewhere to try out...

_________________
gitlab | twitter | ToaruOS | PonyOS 5.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:13 am
Posts: 986
nakst wrote:
My windows now have minimise buttons, but no taskbar to minimise to :(


Very interesting OS, reminds me of an XP.
Man, keep going with your coding style, it is really nice when you can look at someone's code and not get a seizure. Nicely written, easily understandable, no weirdly named variables.
I wanted to test it out, so I tried to compile it, but:
Code:
checking for shl_load... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
Makefile:10800: recipe for target 'configure-target-libstdc++-v3' failed
make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

Don't know if this is the problem Kevin's been having.

_________________
OS: Basic OS
About: 32 Bit Monolithic Kernel Written in C++ and Assembly, Custom FAT 32 Bootloader


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 264
I spent of bunch of time cleaning up my text editor and adding features, including syntax highlighting. Now it's actually pretty usable!

Image

_________________
gitlab | twitter | ToaruOS | PonyOS 5.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:37 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 264
Octacone wrote:
I wanted to test it out, so I tried to compile it, but:
Code:
checking for shl_load... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
Makefile:10800: recipe for target 'configure-target-libstdc++-v3' failed
make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

I did get this error myself, but it seems the rest of the build continued anyway and I did manage to get it running. I suspect nakst's build system is building some unnecessary components...

@nakst: Some of this is quite impressive! Your UI elements themselves are very cool, especially with the transition animations on your buttons. The icon list widget is also impressively complete. However, it seems like system performance is highly dependent on whether the mouse is moving... and not in the usual way where things slow down when the mouse moves but rather it seems you have timers that are somehow bound to mouse movement - the faster I move the mouse the faster the text cursor blinks.

_________________
gitlab | twitter | ToaruOS | PonyOS 5.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 am
Posts: 23
Quote:
I did get this error myself, but it seems the rest of the build continued anyway and I did manage to get it running. I suspect nakst's build system is building some unnecessary components...

I somehow broke building the standard C++ library, and I'm not sure what I did. But it's not necessary anyway. /shrug.

Quote:
Some of this is quite impressive! Your UI elements themselves are very cool, especially with the transition animations on your buttons.

Thank you!

Quote:
The icon list widget is also impressively complete.

Really? It's in the middle of a rewrite and there are loads of missing features. You used to be able to resize/sort columns, make a selection box, use keyboard input...

Quote:
However, it seems like system performance is highly dependent on whether the mouse is moving... and not in the usual way where things slow down when the mouse moves but rather it seems you have timers that are somehow bound to mouse movement - the faster I move the mouse the faster the text cursor blinks.

I'm assuming you're running it on Qemu? There seem to be a lot of timing issues of Qemu. But if you run it on VirtualBox (or real hardware), it runs just fine.
It's something I'm investigating :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 178
Took a while as i had to sort out some issues with how keys were transferred around in my system, and had to improve the speed of cross process interrupts.
Now its possible to open the application search dialog with shortcut alt + f. This dialog will function a bit like the program search in iOS

Image

_________________
MollenOS Progress: Userspace Programming
Github
Website


Last edited by MollenOS on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:09 am
Posts: 6
Help Me about Operating System Coding. I can only know to print a text.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:47 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm
Posts: 43
ReBootC wrote:
Help Me about Operating System Coding. I can only know to print a text.


Ho ho ho, so it's about to start, after zerocoolx tutorial :P

_________________
wataha.net - system programming, my own 64 bit kernel and software.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:09 am
Posts: 6
I want to code an operating system that looks like MS-DOS. I want C, not Assembly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm
Posts: 43
ReBootC wrote:
I want to code an operating system that looks like MS-DOS. I want C, not Assembly.


So, keep going with tutorial based on zerocoolx https://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33147, maybe after few days/weeks, You will find your answer "howto" or what to do next.

_________________
wataha.net - system programming, my own 64 bit kernel and software.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alberinfo, Schol-R-LEA and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group