Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:21 am
I have never ever had a virus. Ever.
The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
https://forum.osdev.org/
Ah, Well.. Typically Unix file systems don't experience such heavy fragmentation, they're fairly well designed..JamesM wrote:The drive itself wouldn't slow, but filesystem access times would increase because of heavy fragmentation and windows has been known to BSOD when it hasn't got enough swapspace.....I can't say I've ever seen a drive slow down as a result of "being too full" though, that doesn't even make sense.
I've not really had a slow down in I/O performance ever on Linux, on Windows I get it a lot. After a couple of weeks from installation, my Windows partition was fragmented quite a bit.Brynet-Inc wrote:Ah, Well.. Typically Unix file systems don't experience such heavy fragmentation, they're fairly well designed..JamesM wrote:The drive itself wouldn't slow, but filesystem access times would increase because of heavy fragmentation and windows has been known to BSOD when it hasn't got enough swapspace.....I can't say I've ever seen a drive slow down as a result of "being too full" though, that doesn't even make sense.
Any possible performance loss is negligible, I even get consistent read/write statistics 5 months after installation.