OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Intel Manuals
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:20 pm 

I've thought for a while that the wiki should list sections from the Intel Manuals in either the "See Also" section or in a box near the top. For readers who do not want to go through the effort of looking up the section in their hard copy or PDF, it would be nice to have a link to an html version of the correct section hosted somewhere. Does such a thing already exist? If not, I'm willing to try my hand at a quick conversion. Any other thoughts on the matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 pm 

Is it legal to convert the manual to html?

C8H10N4O2 | #446691 | Trust the nodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:27 pm 

I believe it would qualify as fair use. Intel distributes the manual for free, it's mirrored everywhere, it promotes their products, and I would not claim to be the author. I have seen some conversions to text around, so I'm fairly sure it's alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:43 pm 

Yeah i'm pretty sure your allowed to Mirror the text... though i'll check the exact details before doing so, would be nice for some users i am sure.

EDIT: Well the main manuals are incredibly evasive about this issue, but i see no problem with just waiting till they ask for it to be removed as long as we don't copy the contents of the "TLBs, Paging-Structure Caches, and Their Invalidation" manual, as it states

Quote:
Except as permitted by such license, no part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted in any form or by any means without the express written consent of Intel Corporation.

Given that this point is made in only the one manual, i really doubt Intel will have a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:14 pm 

as long as the manuals arent alered in any signifigant way, i shouldnt be a problem.
I would suggest allso putting links to the amd manuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:36 pm 

Tyler wrote:
EDIT: Well the main manuals are incredibly evasive about this issue, but i see no problem with just waiting till they ask for it to be removed

Wouldn't it be easier to just ask Intel? Can we do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:29 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
I just checked my copy of the manuals - it does not say anything in regard to the right of distribution so unless the site says so we must assume they reserve that right.

Of course, we can always ask. It can only improve things :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:57 pm 

Combuster wrote:
Of course, we can always ask. It can only improve things :)

So who will be asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:08 pm 

Quote:
So who will be asking?

Its either you, since you proposed it, or J. Hawthorn for coming up with the idea.

I can't be bothered since I personally think people should just read through the manuals as often as necessary to have a global idea how things work. It wouldn't help to quote (read: link to a page) the manual to people when they have no idea about the context in which it lives.

$.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:32 pm 

Combuster wrote:
Quote:
So who will be asking?

Its either you, since you proposed it, or J. Hawthorn for coming up with the idea.

I can't be bothered since I personally think people should just read through the manuals as often as necessary to have a global idea how things work. It wouldn't help to quote (read: link to a page) the manual to people when they have no idea about the context in which it lives.

$.02

I sent an email to someone at Intel. Maybe I'll get something back. :P

I'll post it here if I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:27 pm 

There's a computer science course at ucla here that I sometimes use for various references. They provide a html copy of the 'Intel 80386 Programmer's Reference Manual' on their own server which is kind of a forerunner to the latest Intel manuals, but contains most of the basic information. I guess we could link to various pages in that without worry, as we aren't hosting the pages ourselves?

Regards,
John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:52 pm 

jnc100 wrote:
There's a computer science course at ucla here that I sometimes use for various references. They provide a html copy of the 'Intel 80386 Programmer's Reference Manual' on their own server which is kind of a forerunner to the latest Intel manuals, but contains most of the basic information. I guess we could link to various pages in that without worry, as we aren't hosting the pages ourselves?

Regards,
John.

That doesnt make it legal.
I see no reason to worry though, but i wouldnt link to pages on another server, you never know when and if it will be removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:27 am 

jnc100 wrote:

Regards,
John.

That should suit our purposes very well. Thank you very much for finding it.

Zacariaz wrote:
I wouldn't link to pages on another server, you never know when and if it will be removed.

A valid concern, solved by me wget-ing it so I can mirror it in the future if necessary.

If anyone has objections/comments about using these, please post them. I personally am satisfied and will create a couple of templates asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:15 am 

jnc100 wrote:
that'd be safe enough.

jhawthorn wrote:
Zacariaz wrote:
I wouldn't link to pages on another server, you never know when and if it will be removed.

A valid concern, solved by me wget-ing it so I can mirror it in the future if necessary.
Note that you wouldn't be allowed to put that up as it's still copyrighted.

Quote:
If anyone has objections/comments about using these, please post them. I personally am satisfied and will create a couple of templates asap.
I have posted my opinion on the matter already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:48 am 

Okay. They directed me to here...

I'm taking that as a 'no'.

(Go down to the 'Single Copy License' section. :wink: )

Was worth a try, no?