OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering [book]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:20 am 

Wow, you think it's not about os developing? But it is -> I mean, there is a chapter there, where they describe how Windows works. How it manages his processes and all the cool stuff you can think of.

I don't know, if the book was already discussed in the forum, but I have a *pdf version and it is really cool

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... 74817.html

By the way, the book describes the Reverse Engineering process, by giving you examples of when the RevEng is useful and legal and when it is not. Then they describe how Windows works (because Windows is the primary RevEng target in the book).
It's a MUST for an os developer, I think!

EDIT: I forgot to say something else about the book: it describes also the processor's way of decoding and executing instructions: microcodes, pipelining ---> it's all there!
Also the writer of the book, wrote he will rewrite the book for 64-bit, when 64-bit mode become popular

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:32 am 

that sound like a very nice book!, good find! i'll look out for that book 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:06 pm 

I guess reverse engineering is a subject that should be at least cursively studied by every low-level programmer and it doesn't hurt for high-level programming either. Debugging (especially for lower-level code) shares quite a bit with reverse engineering, after all.

Sometimes it also happens that one has the source for some component, and needs to write another component which communicates the old component (or even replaces it) and it's not too uncommon to find that some amount of reverse engineering is required... I mean, there's a lot of source out there, that's basicly as readable as your typical disassembly.

That said, do they sell PDF versions of those, or do you have some "really good excuse" (tm) about having one? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:34 pm 

Ok took a look into the sample chapter, and seems like it's solid stuff. :)

Post subject: Re: Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering [book]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:29 pm 

INF1n1t wrote:
How it manages his processes and all the cool stuff you can think of.

Windows manages his processes (this I have to see)?, only joking. A good book for windows internals is Microsoft Windows Internals, Fourth Edition: Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.

Apart from that, I've read the book, and think it's one of the best I've ever read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:02 pm 

mystran wrote:
That said, do they sell PDF versions of those, or do you have some "really good excuse" (tm) about having one? ;)

:oops: Hmmm, I guess "really good excuse" is not equal to "A friend gave me the *.pdf version of the book"!

Quote:
Windows manages his processes (this I have to see)?, only joking. A good book for windows internals is Microsoft Windows Internals, Fourth Edition: Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.

Apart from that, I've read the book, and think it's one of the best I've ever read.

Yes, I should look out for that book!