OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:53 am 

just feel like a stranger in a foriegn country
:(
although i was new to mega-tokyo but i liked that forum much
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:58 am 

links to threads in the osfaq2 are lost or what? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Aku-Aku wrote:
I just want to know why was the two forums merged?
thanks

The Mega-Tokyo OSDev boards were moved because DF has wanted to move them for a while. Given that OSDev.org and MT had the two biggest OS forums it kind of made sense to combine them. There is a thread from Mega-Tokyo that talks about a previous attempt to move the MT forums that didn't go very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:43 am 
Site Admin

ces_mohab wrote:
links to threads in the osfaq2 are lost or what? :?:

Not really, take a look at the earlier posts about bookmark conversion. I honestly haven't had that much of a chance to look at the database schema of phpwiki. I might be able to write a program that will fix the forum links in the wiki and in the MT forum posts that link to other posts. But we at least have the data to manually fix the links without having to search if it comes down to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:38 am 

One of the best things with this move is that you can search for posts if you'd like to. On mega-tokyo the search feature was worse then bad. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:43 pm 

Can I have the old 'Midas' posts linked with this account (which I didn't realise I had until I tried to reregister here ^_^), it's handy to be able to go back through my posts more easily - plus, in the unlikely event I have had something interesting to say, my PM is right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:32 am 

@Chase: Could you merge my two accounts ? The user-name is the same on both boards..

Thanks a lot,
gaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:34 pm 

same here, please (durand to durand). Isn't there a way to auto-merge all of these accounts if they have similar information? (like email addresses,etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

durand wrote:
same here, please (durand to durand). Isn't there a way to auto-merge all of these accounts if they have similar information? (like email addresses,etc).

Yes and no. I'd have to hack on the registration process for PHPBB to make it automatic and since I'm not a php guru I'd rather try to avoid causing extra problems during the merge. I couldn't migrate the accounts because of overlapping usernames (1800+ here and 2800+ on MT) and YaBB passwords aren't compatible with PHPBB. I wrote the conversion software in Java if you're wondering. The volume of requests isn't that bad and I've gotten to them all in the same day. All that's really involved is me going to phpMyAdmin and running:
Code:
UPDATE `phpbb_posts` SET `poster_id` = 1216 WHERE `post_username` = "durand" AND `poster_id` = -1
SELECT COUNT( * ) FROM `phpbb_posts` WHERE `poster_id` = 1216
UPDATE `phpbb_users` SET `user_posts` = 183 WHERE `user_id` = 1216

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

spix wrote:
Can we have little stars like we did on mega-tokyo? there's nothing like a gold star near your name to make you feel special :)

Do you feel special now? :)

I might change the stars out so they don't have white backgrounds, just wanted to test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:00 pm 

Quote:
Do you feel special now?

I sure do! :D

Quote:
I might change the stars out so they don't have white backgrounds, just wanted to test.

Cool, the white backgrounds aren't so good with the dark theme, maybe something similar to your nice shiny new blue bubble buttons?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Well I went with MT style starts(if you see stars with white background on the blue theme just shift-refresh). I've modified the thresholds for the number of stars from MT for those of you that are migrating over. I'll leave it for you to discover what the values are except for the 5th star, that's for the mega-posters with 1000+ posts.

I think I've reattached all the posts for those of you that have asked and some that haven't. If I've missed you just contact me and I'll get it fixed.

Are there any other features that anyone would like to see added?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:40 am 

chase wrote:
just shift-refresh

I feel I should point out that it's Ctrl+Refresh that refreshes without using the cache.

EDIT: A feature suggestion: I have no idea if its possible, but is there a 'user rating' plugin for phpBB as there are for other forums? Where the community can rate users based on their input. So that if, for example, I try to help someone with something, they have no doubt as to whose answer is more likely to be correct if someone with far more experience (i.e. just about anyone else) disagrees with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Midas wrote:
chase wrote:
just shift-refresh

I feel I should point out that it's Ctrl+Refresh that refreshes without using the cache.

We are both right, I was just showing my bias towards Firefox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... your_cache

I'll research the user rating thing. Although my first impression is that even though this is now the largest community of OSDev people ever I still think we are small enough that it wouldn't be required. It reminds me of Slashdot where (post)rankings exist to filter out trolls,idiots, and duplicate posters. It seems that mostly only people with a brain get into OS development. I've only seen one or two people that are trying to write an OS in HTML... :) I'll see if I can find admins running that type of mod and what their experiences are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:29 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
I see my "merge accounts" post has been split out with that proxy issue and forgotten afterwards, I'll ask again:
Chase, could you merge my MT account and this one (Same usernames)
Apologies if i spammed anybody

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next