When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Structure

Re: When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots

Post by Structure »

clusterfuck.jpg
SaulloSilva
Freenode IRC: SaulloSilva

Post by SaulloSilva »

Try to load ELF file
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-10-11 23-14-51.png
bgg
Freenode IRC: bgg

Post by bgg »

Something about this tells me I didn't set up the terminal correctly
Attachments
Capture.PNG
yuukidesu9

Post by yuukidesu9 »

bgg wrote:Something about this tells me I didn't set up the terminal correctly
I think the last two letters from that

Code: Select all

"w ft"
part are swapped :lol:
clementttttttttt
Freenode IRC: clementttttttttt

Post by clementttttttttt »

NetDOS-32 (again) completely freaks out while testing multitasking.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201204_143406.png
8infy

Post by 8infy »

While fixing a bunch of technical debt i've accumulated in the 32 bit version of the kernel.
zaval

Post by zaval »

the font looks soo gewd. :)
ANT - NT-like OS for x64 and arm64.
efify - UEFI for a couple of boards (mips and arm). suspended due to lost of all the target park boards (russians destroyed our town).
8infy

Post by 8infy »

zaval wrote:the font looks soo gewd. :)
Lol thanks, its hand-drawn with bitmasks actually so I didn't expect it to look well :D
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

Not really a screenshot, but my kernel was acting very strangly and I wasted a lot of time on debugging it.

I had a very strange heisenbug where local variables in my kernel were being overritten, but commenting out random code or adding extra debugging code either stopped it or made it modify other random variables!!

I was using the QEMU monitor and halting the world and inspecting the memory location of the variables that should not have modified, that they started looking suspiciously like addresses in my kernel address range. They lined up with addresses in my disassembled kernel (in kind of a reverse stack trace of functions that would have called each other.) I printed rsp in the QEMU monitor and it was pointing into my kernel's BSS section!

I discovered this in my interrupt handler:

mov rsp, interrupt_stack_top
Instead of:

mov rsp, [interrupt_stack_top]
I was setting the stack to the location of the variable 'interrupt_stack_top', rather than the address that the variable 'interrupt_stack_top' was pointing to.

The reason it went undetected was because the linker had been putting 'interrupt_stack_top' at the very start of my BSS section, and BSS is page aligned, so there was a little bit of empty padding and it was never an issue. But, some new code added global variables before 'interrupt_stack_top', and that's when I noticed my bug.
My OS is Perception.
PeterX

Post by PeterX »

Ha, I didn't know the term "Heisenbug". I had indeed bugs that seem to disappear when trying to isolate them. That was quite puzzling every time it happened. Then you normally have done something wrong where you were sure to do it right. So you have to question what you view as a safe assumption.

Good to see that I'm not the only one who has such problems occasionally. :)

Greetings
Peter
sj95126

Post by sj95126 »

More of an "OS not going crazy when it should" story. My kernel doesn't do much yet, it's just a learning project. But still, it's 64-bit, paging, protections, preemptive multitasking, etc. I recently implemented fork() in a fairly simplistic way, and after verifying it worked, I figured why not stress test it, so I made it recursively re-fork ad infinitum, and it was juggling something like 2,000 active processes when I finally stopped it. I guess that's a good sign.
akasei

Post by akasei »

I am rebuilding the window display system with transparency support, so far I'm doing fine ;)

https://blackdev.org/ - system programming, my own 64 bit kernel and software.
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

I was seeing random crashes in my userspace window manager. The stack trace was showing seemingly random locations for the crashes. For example:
  • std::map::find was page faulting when my map was global and my key was on the stack.
  • My linked list was pointing to phantom elements, even though I printed the values of every element I was adding to the list.
The cause of my problems: stack overflows. Turns out, 4KB isn't big enough for everybody.
My OS is Perception.
nullplan

Post by nullplan »

AndrewAPrice wrote:The cause of my problems: stack overflows. Turns out, 4KB isn't big enough for everybody.
I recommend guard pages. That way, you will notice if someone exceeds the limit. But yeah, 4kB is a bit tight.
Carpe diem!
AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

First attempt to draw widgets to the screen.

First attempt for my window manager (which is in userland) to compose the screen using a buffer from a different process.
Attachments
widgets.jpg
My OS is Perception.