OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help me choose a name
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:43 am 

Thanks to the assistance of all here, I have my OS booting, with working multitasking and a simple GUI and CLI shell, as I’m also able to read disks (next will be adding an ELF loader...) I’ll be moving quite a bit of code from the “kernel blob” to separate on disk programs.

In preparation for that, I’ve decided to do a complete code cleanup. The current code base is a mess of poorly chosen variable names, dead code paths, and very early code which hasn’t been updated to use parts of the kernel which didn’t exist when they were written. Not to mention a horrid mix of snake_case, camelCase, and PascalCase :lol:

But somthing I don’t have is a project name! Currently it’s just called kernel... so I thought I throw it out to the more literary creative members here for suggestions!

Since this is an OS few will ever see and fewer will use, this is really just a bit of fun! Ridiculous suggestions very welcome!

CuriOS: A single address space GUI based operating system built upon a fairly pure Microkernel/Nanokernel. Download latest bootable x86 Disk Image: https://github.com/h5n1xp/CuriOS/blob/main/disk.img.zip
Discord:https://discord.gg/zn2vV2Su

Post subject: Re: Help me choose a name
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 am 

There is something in the Wiki about naming. Which points back to a forum thread on naming. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 am 

Solar wrote:
There is something in the Wiki about naming. Which points back to a forum thread on naming. ;-)

Ahh, yeah. I did read that a few months ago :)
I’m not being too serious about this, as this whole project is just really to tech me the x86 (and eventually x86-64) hardware, to try out a few OS ideas I’ve had for a while, and to stop me going mad during lockdown.
No one is ever going to be particularly interested in it, so I just thought we could have some fun... anyone want to come up with some funny code names?

CuriOS: A single address space GUI based operating system built upon a fairly pure Microkernel/Nanokernel. Download latest bootable x86 Disk Image: https://github.com/h5n1xp/CuriOS/blob/main/disk.img.zip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 pm 

Vampire kernel?
Silly kernel?
Frog kernel?
Hitech kernel?
Cheeky kernel?
Hilarious kernel?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 pm 

Or just take a city name. Just not Chicago, as that one's already taken. I'm going with Irkutsk, by the way, Siberia is getting too little love in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:03 pm 

as long as you don't call it "bloodline", it will be ok. :D or, you can tease the destiny and call it somewhat embarrassing, so it will definitely succeed for you to have a lot of blushing moments in future. :D like me, for example, I wanna call my entire OS Avril, after Avril Lavigne - my crush forever. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:02 pm 

"Bloodline" makes me think of dynasties, so maybe some royal dynasty? Most of them only lasted about 4 generations though; not much of a bloodline.

The first long dynasty which popped into my head was Biblical, but it has the most ordinary name: David. ;)

Britain's Plantagenets had a good long run, but they weren't nice people. Not only did they fight wickedly amongst themselves, but one of their kings -- possibly their first king -- was the original for the Sherrif of Nottingham in Robin Hood stories. And, possibly the same Plantagenet king is Scotland's most hated person ever! I think it was one of the Edwards... 1st... 4th... I don't know. But the Plantagenets were so long-running and re-used the same names so many times, they're the reason we put numbers after kings names. And I don't think any of the Plantagenets were quite as wicked as certain Davidic kings.

There must be lots of dynasty names you could use, and not just royal ones. Britain -- and probably all of Europe -- has these long-running family names amongst the lesser nobles. I have almost no idea which other parts of the world have bloodlines like this. Japan, perhaps? I know almost nothing about Chinese dynasties or ancient South America, and less than that about Africa or the Islamic world.

You could take a totally fictional bloodline; it doesn't matter outside the possibility of trademark issues. Do trademarks even apply to things which don't compete in the slightest? Oh... they do. Google had to pay George Lucas for "Android". Still, there are un-trademarked minor characters in obscure novels which I like and might name things after, so obscure Klingon houses also popped into my head at the thought of bloodlines.

If this all sounds a bit historically-focused, I'm going back to a possible origin of alphabetic writing for mine. ;) I'm taking the letter representing making things; Kaph. A letter representing self-expression is free, but that's "Peh!" :P

There's an OS called Jehanne -- Joan of Arc -- because it's heretical against its Plan 9 roots. Nothing bloodline-related there; she never had kids.

zaval wrote:
as long as you don't call it "bloodline", it will be ok. :D or, you can tease the destiny and call it somewhat embarrassing, so it will definitely succeed for you to have a lot of blushing moments in future. :D like me, for example, I wanna call my entire OS Avril, after Avril Lavigne - my crush forever. :mrgreen:

There was a time I wanted to develop an Advanced Voice Recognizing InteLligence... for much the same reason. I wanted it to sound like her. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:49 pm 

Just call it ":el". Colonel it is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:40 am 

eekee wrote:

If this all sounds a bit historically-focused, I'm going back to a possible origin of alphabetic writing for mine. ;) I'm taking the letter representing making things; Kaph. A letter representing self-expression is free, but that's "Peh!" :P

I'm enjoying the reasoning people are using to think up names... Names are hard... ever tried naming child? #-o

My favourite suggestion is Kaph, as in KaphOS... But that doesn't sound silly enough for a project with as little value as mine :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:56 am 

The best name ever I've seen is BugOS. It is brilliant because in Hungarian also means "buggy" or software full of bugs, but in English the "OS" suffix fits too. (FYI "-os" suffix in Hungarian turns nouns into adjectives, like "hang" = sound, "hangos" = loud). You could try to find a name in your own language that makes sense in English too.

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 am 

bzt wrote:
The best name ever I've seen is BugOS. It is brilliant because in Hungarian also means "buggy" or software full of bugs, but in English the "OS" suffix fits too. (FYI "-os" suffix in Hungarian turns nouns into adjectives, like "hang" = sound, "hangos" = loud). You could try to find a name in your own language that makes sense in English too.

Brilliant! I never knew that. :) I love that sort of word play.

Also, it might not be apparent from the quality of my writing, but I'm actually starting with English... The fun part will be trying to make the same name mean something in another language, but the only other language I know in any detail is German... Might have some fun with the name GiftOS, which would have VERY different meanings in English and German (perhaps more accurate in German!).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 am 

bloodline wrote:
eekee wrote:

I'm enjoying the reasoning people are using to think up names... Names are hard... ever tried naming child? #-o

My favourite suggestion is Kaph, as in KaphOS... But that doesn't sound silly enough for a project with as little value as mine :lol:

Hey! That one's mine! :P I'm going to have to put it in my signature even though I have no code yet, aren't I? The only reservation I have is it's going to make people think of coffee which I can't drink.

I used to name roleplaying characters. It might seem easier than naming a child, but I have had it go wrong. One was a kind-of tough guy but I got teased by my own nephew because his name could be made to sound all kinds of childish and soft. What my nephew hadn't realised is he'd made the same sort of mistake in the very same game. His character's name sounded like "Do not clean!" :lol: I have made a worse mistake naming characters, but I'll just say "Oh, the wonders of innocence," and leave it at that! :lol:

Gift was worth the effort of going to Google Translate. :lol:

edit: Almost forgot: I once named my no-MMU OS after one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Then I decided that was in very poor taste and kept only the red panda. I suppose I should change it to a sand cat or fennec fox, but red pandas look cheerier.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:41 am 

Taking the advice here, I've settled on the name: CuriOS

Hopefully some of you will be curious enough to try it... Boom! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:23 am 

bloodline wrote:
Taking the advice here, I've settled on the name: CuriOS

That's actually a really good name...

bloodline wrote:
Hopefully some of you will be curious enough to try it... Boom! :wink:

...but I might have to hurt you for the joke! :mrgreen: