OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: how to clean your book pages for covid-19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:19 am 

assuming you guys all reading some sort of books and daily ritual of cleaning household objects, how would you clean the book pages you touched? It seems paint in the *** for books that can have hundreds of pages. It is specially thorny because sometimes you need to touch your mouth to wet your finger before turning.

It would be nice if there is a dry liquid into which you can submerge without damaging the book(s).

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

Post subject: Re: how to clean your book pages for covid-19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:09 am 

ggodw000 wrote:
how would you clean the book pages you touched?

I wouldn't. Don't touch it for a while (a week should be enough?) and it'll be OK.

ggodw000 wrote:
sometimes you need to touch your mouth to wet your finger before turning.

I never do that. Just like I avoid touching any PC or TV screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 am 

See https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

It's probably best to hand wash when you enter indoors, so everything indoors will stay Covid free and you don't have the sanitize the objects in your home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am 

AndrewAPrice wrote:
It's probably best to hand wash when you enter indoors, so everything indoors will stay Covid free and you don't have the sanitize the objects in your home.
Easier said than done. Imagine I'm buying groceries. Obviously I touch everything I buy in the store. So, assuming my hands are tainted somehow, that taint is transferred to my groceries now. OK, then I get home, put my groceries on the table, and go wash my hands. But the groceries are still tainted. So now I put my stuff away and have to wash my hands again, and sanitize all surfaces I touched with tainted hands. Hoping not to create a multi-resistant virus from all the sanitizing going on. Except my memory is not perfect, so I might miss such a surface. Oh, and the groceries are still tainted, and some I cannot sanitize at all (fresh fruit for example). So I cannot handle them without tainting my hands again. Try as you might, you never get a clean-room in your home. Best to just always wash your hands before eating and try not to lick your fingers. For wetting your fingers, you can put a cup/glass of water on the table and dip your fingers in there. Just don't drink the stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 am 

I'm always wearing a facemask outdoors (except when eating.) Everyone should wear a mask when with people outside your household during the pandemic. The worst are asymptomic carriers who don't know they have it. Keep far away from others not wearing a mask.

I'm not too worried about surface transmission and 'tainted' objects (although don't go licking subway poles and door handles, because that's just germy regardless of covid), because how fast the virus spreads is correlated with mask wearing, which makes me believe the majority of cases are due to breathing/spitting/coughing on others:

So, keep away from people not wearing a mask in public and follow basic hygene such as washing your hands before eating and when coming indoors.

If you need to lick your fingers to flip the pages of a book, then treat reading the same as eating and wash your hands beforehand. If you think your book is 'tainted', then let it sit for a week and any viruses that were on it will die (because viruses need a living host to survive.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 pm 

It is quite difficult to get your home covid-free absolute. you gotta keep track of all incidence or occurrences when and where you touched things, specially upon bringing stuff from grocery or coming from outside for other business. Not only that grocery itself but containers of food items, grocery bags, receipts and everything is potentially a transmission vector.

Also how about stuff you carry around, phones, purse and keys.
It can be contaminated as you frequently touch these item in and out of house, you gotta clean up every time you enter the home.

It is not just only wash, it is also how you wash. You enter home, wash your hand but decided to clean your phone but then you touched it with your clean hand while cleaning your phone but now you may need to wash your hand again. But then you forgot that you did not clean your purse need to grab credit card out of it, then you have to clean the purse but then also your hand. it is endless.

I also have A/C unit at my multidwelling apartment. Words are out that cruise ships A/C filter not designed for filtering germs and might have potentially infected isolated travellers in their room, not sure how it fares in normall apartment buildings, for the sake of safety, i keeping heat and a/c off all the time now.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:05 pm 

nullplan wrote:
AndrewAPrice wrote:
Easier said than done. Imagine I'm buying groceries. Obviously I touch everything I buy in the store. So, assuming my hands are tainted somehow, that taint is transferred to my groceries now. OK, then I get home, put my groceries on the table, and go wash my hands. But the groceries are still tainted. So now I put my stuff away and have to wash my hands again, and sanitize all surfaces I touched with tainted hands. Hoping not to create a multi-resistant virus from all the sanitizing going on. Except my memory is not perfect, so I might miss such a surface. Oh, and the groceries are still tainted, and some I cannot sanitize at all (fresh fruit for example). So I cannot handle them without tainting my hands again. Try as you might, you never get a clean-room in your home. Best to just always wash your hands before eating and try not to lick your fingers. For wetting your fingers, you can put a cup/glass of water on the table and dip your fingers in there. Just don't drink the stuff.

Nowadays, I am washing even groceries. The food with containers I wash them with dishsoap every one of them, but contents inside containers, can not use dishsoap only choice here is to trust and hope it is not contaminated while it was sitting on the shelf. For fruits and vegetables, also dishsoap will not work, so only choice left is to rinse well with warm water but that does not really remove the contamination although it could reduce somewhat. But once vegetables are cooked, it should destroy all the viruses but fruits remains concern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:39 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
Also how about stuff you carry around, phones, purse and keys.

No handbags of any kind anymore, only plastic bags from grocery stores. Washing hands multiple times when coming home from shopping. Water-resistant case on the phone, washed every time when coming home just like hands.
Seems like consuming food with the virus is not as bad as breathing air with it. Indeed you can't wash every food item.

ggodw000 wrote:
I also have A/C unit at my multidwelling apartment. Words are out that cruise ships A/C filter not designed for filtering germs and might have potentially infected isolated travellers in their room, not sure how it fares in normall apartment buildings, for the sake of safety, i keeping heat and a/c off all the time now.

Well, I'm not sharing my A/C or fan with anyone else. But there's the vent system in the building that's not ideal and if you can smell the neighbors' dinner through it, you may die of paranoia.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:45 am 

Grocery: wash them.

- When I walk in with my grocery, I put all the bag in a the dining room's corner.
- Then wash my hands before I touch anything.
- Open your trash can
- Next: prepare containers (plastic containers) or otherwise and put them on the counter top / kitchen table.
- Anything that can be washed goes into the sink (including most fruits / vegetables)
- Anything that is packaged (bags of carrots, beans, etc): rip the plastic bag open and empty the content into the containers you prepared. Careful not to touch the content.
- Contaminated grocery bags / food bags go directly in the trash.
- Wash what is in the sink
- Things that can't be washed (boxes) stays in the dining room's corner for 48h
- Wash your hand
- Now you can handle the containers filled with food above: put lids, put them in the fridge, etc.

The only thing I havent found a satisfying solution for is cartons of eggs. I suppose you could wash each egg one by one or empty them in a container, but it seems risky either way.

Non-grocery: leave itmes in a corner for 2-3 days. I use big plastic containers to hold them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:36 am 

kzinti wrote:
The only thing I havent found a satisfying solution for is cartons of eggs.

With eggs you have to also worry about Salmonella. But solutions depends on where you live:
  • In EU it is safe (Salmonella-wise) to keep eggs at room temperature, so they should be COVID-free within 2-3 days
  • In US eggs are sterilized, but must be kept refrigerated to stay that way. Moving them to another, clean carton (bake it, if you are extra paranoid) should do fine.
  • Rest of the world - check food regulations yourself.

Source:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sh ... erate-eggs