OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Best lightweight and good looking linux
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:06 am 

Hello, I was using my Linux environment, currently parrot security as my programming environment. It had all the essentials, and non-essentials too. I was planning to learn about pen testing when I took it, but not anymore. So I tried to delete all the unnecessary packages, which broke some packages and therefore I can't update. #-o So, I moved all my files out and is planning to move to an other version of Linux. I got a windows installation which I don't want to break.

I am looking for a lightweight but elegant looking system for everyday use, which comes with minimal software and files. I would like to manually install my software. :wink:

My specs:
core i3 6006U
8GB RAM
A not so fast Hard disk

I won't be using much software except the file manager and some text editor and such, but I need it to be fast(or else I would've changed my coding env to windows) :D

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Best lightweight and good looking linux
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:21 am 

WSL.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:25 am 

iansjack wrote:
WSL.

Linux on top of Windows? That'd be very slow.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:48 am 

pranavappu007 wrote:
iansjack wrote:
WSL.

Not neccessarily.

(Your question is better asked at Linux Foundation's forum, I think.)

I don't know which look you consider elegant. So I can't say what is looking best for you. But you can configure nearly any Linux to "look good". You have to go to the preferences of the desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc.) and set your favorite style.

Maybe Manjaro Linux is good for you, you can install packages yourself. I think there are three CD/DVD images: One with very small software base. And one with a kind of "construction kit" to build your own favorite system (It's called "Manjaro Architect" or similar).

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:13 am 

pranavappu007 wrote:
iansjack wrote:
WSL.

Absolutely not. (It's Linux alongside Windows, not on top of.)

You should try these things before jumping to conclusions. And I'd recommend Visual Studio Code as the development environment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:23 am 

PeterX wrote:
Maybe Manjaro Linux is good for you, you can install packages yourself. I think there are three CD/DVD images: One with very small software base. And one with a kind of "construction kit" to build your own favorite system (It's called "Manjaro Architect" or similar).

I read that manjaro is not stable, especially on updating. How about zorin? I liked their environment, but the core edition runs GNOME and maybe not fast enough. Checked elementary OS, looks ok but no idea about the load. Things like antiX or MX isn't looking as good as I would like. I also need multiboot stability.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:25 am 

pranavappu007 wrote:
PeterX wrote:

I read that manjaro is not stable, especially on updating. How about zorin? I liked their environment, but the core edition runs GNOME and maybe not fast enough. Checked elementary OS, looks ok but no idea about the load. Things like antiX or MX isn't looking as good as I would like. I also need multiboot stability.

I have no clue about Zorin, Elementary OS etc. Perhaps you try the Linux Foundation Forum for more Linux distro knowledge?

Greetings
Peter