OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:50 am 

Progress on my UI library

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am 

@Monax

Boy, does it look good! :mrgreen:
Also, you should fix the mouse asap, it doesn't work in Qemu, it just sort of jumps around in the same spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:39 pm 

@Octacone, can you try to
Code:
make run-qemu QEMUEXTRA="-display sdl"
And open an issue on github with more info on the version of qemu you are using. I'm using QEMU when developing and I didn't notice that

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 pm 

I have been working on some large GUI improvements

https://discord.gg/NAYp6AUYWM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:43 pm 

Hey everyone!

I love looking at all your OSes, it's inspiring :)

Here's mine so far -- I made this 12 years ago when I was 16. I implemented FAT32, bootloader, multitasking, ELF support, keyboard, and display.
The background image is the original splash screen I made in 2008.

This past week while on staycation I decided to resurrect the project, and besides refactoring and properly passing display information to the kernel, I implemented mouse support, some sophisticated drawing, and bitmap text.

(The mouse was a nightmare to implement until I realized all I needed to do was change the mouse settings for my Windows virtual machine).

Now I'm working on the API and the user interface, and at that point it should be pretty functional. I am hoping to build a full high quality graphics library with font rendering (and software 3d, just because I've always liked doing that). I've also always wanted to build with my own compiler someday; I have a C compiler in the works (testing the parser, working on code generation), and eventually I've also wanted to port the OS to a custom language.

Maybe someday I'll also port it to mips and dust off my emulator or make another Game Maker clone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:25 pm 

Dennis Bonke recently did a lot of ports for Managarm, including fontconfig and other components of the X11/Wayland font stack.

Below is weston-terminal on Managarm without fontconfig:

... and with fontconfig and TTF fonts:

Thanks a lot to Dennis :D

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:55 pm 

It's still in it's early development phase, but I think it looks okay, just a few things out of place :)

Discord: Krasno#5348

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 am 

Krasno wrote:
It's still in it's early development phase, but I think it looks okay, just a few things out of place :)

The blurring on those transparent windows is mighty impressive. Do you have a source repository or blog somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 am 

klange wrote:
Krasno wrote:

The blurring on those transparent windows is mighty impressive. Do you have a source repository or blog somewhere?

Nope, at least not for now, although I've been thinking about open sourcing it.
As for the blur algorithm, it's just a linear Gaussian blur, although I have been looking to change it to a Dual Kawase blur since it's faster, and probably add noise to it so I can get an effect similar to the blurring on Mac OS or the acrylic effect on Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 am 

Krasno wrote:
As for the blur algorithm, it's just a linear Gaussian blur, although I have been looking to change it to a Dual Kawase blur since it's faster, and probably add noise to it so I can get an effect similar to the blurring on Mac OS or the acrylic effect on Windows.

How are you managing the underlying layers? Are you redrawing the entire screen from scratch on every frame?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am 

klange wrote:
How are you managing the underlying layers? Are you redrawing the entire screen from scratch on every frame?

It computes the blur for the background, the next window in the stack gets the blur applied by having it + any colour that's transparent, then it computes the blur for that window and adds it to the already existing blur buffer (but it does not modify already drawn windows), and uses the blur for the next window, and so on. It's a bit of a mess currently, there's an option to keep the buffer for the screen minus the last window drawn, so that then it's faster to move the already selected window and get the right blur for it.
For redrawing it gets the screen that needs redrawing, it recomputes the blur from the point in the window stack upwards and applies the effect.
It might not be the fastest or more elegant solution out there and probably isn't, but it's sufficient for what I have right now. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 pm 

@Krasno

1. The graphics effect may be nice, but what interests me more is: Is Develop your self-written IDE?

And 2. You took the name RainOS which I wanted to use myself! :( But you came first so you got it :)

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 pm 

PeterX wrote:
1. The graphics effect may be nice, but what interests me more is: Is Develop your self-written IDE?

It is, my main objective with RainOS is make everything kinda from scratch, even the basic programs because it's fun!
Develop (what a great name isn't it) contains basic syntax highlighting and a basic code completion system.
PeterX wrote:
And 2. You took the name RainOS which I wanted to use myself! :( But you came first so you got it :)

Awww, I mean, I have been suggested a better name for my OS, so I dunno :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:55 pm 

Krasno wrote:

Very very nice! :mrgreen:
Any 1080p screenshots?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm 

Octacone wrote:
Very very nice! :mrgreen:
Any 1080p screenshots?

I just have more screenshots of the desktop :( specially since I now just got the GUI and the drawing library to where I wanted to.
Scaling is still a bit messed up I think, just don't know much how to fix it.

https://i.imgur.com/nS47pVd.png (don't want it to show as an image since I think the forum might display it too big)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 260  Next