OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: UEFI License confusion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm 

I'm interested in making my own, private implementation of UEFI headers, instead of using EDK. I have looked at uefi[dot]org and on download page for specification and in documentation itself stated that this document and herein content is read only, and I have no license (I assume also permission) to reproduce, implement or otherwise use for any purpose (other than to read only) the UEFI Specifications.

Do I misunderstood the statement and the specification is open for everyone to implement?

Actual quote:
Quote:
By downloading any of the UEFI Specifications, you acknowledge that no license, express or implied, is granted to you to distribute, additionally reproduce, implement or otherwise use for any purpose (other than to read only) the UEFI Specifications, and that all rights, title and interest in and to the UEFI Specifications, including all intellectual property rights of any type whatsoever, are owned by the UEFI Forum, or subject to rights granted to the UEFI Forum.

Post subject: Re: UEFI License confusion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm 

Quote:
A license to distribute, additionally reproduce, implement or otherwise use (other than to read only) the UEFI Specifications can be obtained by executing and returning the UEFI Adopter Membership Agreement (free membership).

It's open for anyone who signs the agreement.

(I suspect no one will care if you don't sign the agreement, as long as there's no money involved. Don't take this as legal advice, I'm not a lawyer.)

Post subject: Re: UEFI License confusion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:01 pm 

that license is about the specification itself. not the headers (no headers exist in the spec in fact). of course, you can make your own ones, in accordance with the specification's C structures and definitions. I did so. it's not a reproduction of the specification. and if you are going to implement UEFI, yes, it's open to everybody to implement without additional agreements or whatever things.