OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: VMOS
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 am 

VMOS is my small operaing system based on the NANO project.

What it can do:
- play audio files (it supports the Sound Blaster 16 sound card)
- connect to the internet (supports the Realtek 8029AS networking card)
- execute commands and programs with a CLI interface

What it can't do:
- does not have support for NTFS, ext (ext2-ext4) or FAT (support will be added in feature updates)
- does not have a GUI and PS/2 mouse support (support will be added in feature updates)

Source code: https://github.com/VMGP/vmos

Post subject: Re: VMOS
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 am 

Looks nice on the first glance.

You have a decent Readme. Not all projects have that.

There is a (very small) typo in the readme. In the chapter "User programs development" You type "thorugh corss development".

It should be made clear in the chapter about the kernel that the kernel is NANO. If it is not, the later writing about NANO executable file formats is misleading, at least I think so.

It would be nice if a link to the original NANO would be added. But that's optional.

Do you have a screenshot?

Also you haven't given a license text file. (Don't use a license that conflicts which NANO, but you probably already are aware of that.)

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:11 am 

I couldn't seem to find the project license, so I chose GPL 3.0. (for VMOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:20 am 

VMGP wrote:

I'm not a lawyer but I think that's ok because they didn't present a license. I guess it is the "Nano OS" on sourceforge.net which indeed ha no license.

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:21 am 

Well done, looks good!

A few advice: please remove binaries before you make a commit. The source repo should contain source.
I see we have yet another runner up for the name SFS :-) That particular abbreviation is already heavily overloaded, I'd suggest to choose a different name for your FS.

For the future, I would advice to separate parts to common code and driver specific. For example, net.c has both MAC lookup and NE2K specific code. But this is just a minor thing. Good job!

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 am 

bzt wrote:
A few advice: please remove binaries before you make a commit. The source repo should contain source.

You could create a file named .gitignore. And then you write filenames you don't want to commit into the file.
For example:
Code:
*.o
kernel.bin

It's simple.

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 am 

Thank you for your advice!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 pm 

PeterX wrote:
VMGP wrote:

I'm not a lawyer but I think that's ok because they didn't present a license. I guess it is the "Nano OS" on sourceforge.net which indeed ha no license.

Greetings
Peter

Not legal advice by any means, but unless a license is explicitly given, or copyright is explicitly disclaimed (where legally possible) making the source public domain, no actual license exists.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:31 pm 

Of course no license exists. But what does that mean concerning copyright/usage? No use allowed? Or any use allowed?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:51 pm 

PeterX wrote:
Of course no license exists. But what does that mean concerning copyright/usage? No use allowed? Or any use allowed?

In my limited legal understanding (ie. this is NOT legal advice) you have no rights without a license, which presumably includes use rights as you'd need to copy the source to use it. Copyright is automatic, and doesn't need to be explicitly declared or asserted.

From a practical point of view, you could base a defence around the source being published on an open source platform as implying some sort of license, but I wouldn't hold out much hope or invest any money in it holding up in a court.

Your best bet, if in doubt, is to either not use the project, or contact the author and ask for explicit permission or license to use the project.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 pm 

I believe you are correct there. If software has no explicit licence, either on the binaries or the source, then the copyright owner could prevent you from using or distributing that software. If code doesn't have a licence then you should either request permission for your use of it from the copyright holder, or just don't use it.

The fact that someone makes their work available to look at doesn't give you the right to use it, copy it, modify it, or base new code on it.

https://choosealicense.com/no-permission/

Quote:
For users
If you find software that doesn’t have a license, that generally means you have no permission from the creators of the software to use, modify, or share the software. Although a code host such as GitHub may allow you to view and fork the code, this does not imply that you are permitted to use, modify, or share the software for any purpose.

Your options:

Ask the maintainers nicely to add a license. Unless the software includes strong indications to the contrary, lack of a license is probably an oversight. If the software is hosted on a site like GitHub, open an issue requesting a license and include a link to this site. If you’re bold and it’s fairly obvious what license is most appropriate, open a pull request to add a license – see “suggest this license” in the sidebar of the page for each license on this site (e.g., MIT).
Don’t use the software. Find or create an alternative that is under an open source license.
Negotiate a private license. Bring your lawyer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:35 pm 

On second thought, you convinced me.

Practically this means for VMOS: Ask the author for permission. If that fails grab a different kernel to be the base for your OS.