OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New here. Getting over career burn-out through OSdev.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:09 pm 

Hi there! I'm Alan, I've been into computers my entire life and now that I'm feeling like I'm going nowhere with career, I've decided to dig deep and dive into OSdeving. I'm vaguely familiar with the concepts in general, half-proficient at C, and I've got the enthusiasm of a 90 year old man seeing a turtle for the first time in his life.

I'm attempting to reboot my life by focusing on this as a way to ground myself back into reality, so I hope it's gonna be a good journey. It's really good seeing all the technical and nontechnical discussions, I feel somewhat like I belong here.

If anyone has any recommended readings for me as someone just starting out this journey feel free to comment them, any general life advice, rants, or stackoverflow threats can be sent as a message or written down as a comment as well. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk and have a wonderful day!

Post subject: Re: New here. Getting over career burn-out through OSdev.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:12 am 

Welcome here!
Well, I have mental issues, too. I think it's a good choice to dive into OS-dev. If you are willing to learn a lot, then I think you can make it.

I think Tanenbaum's "OS design and implementation" (old or new edition) might be a good start, but others may have even better advice. Also you should learn Assembler, because when you system-program in any higher language, the low level details are hidden, but they are not away! So knowing Assembler really helps to understand what is "under the hood".

For a start read:
https://wiki.osdev.org/Getting_Started

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:31 am 

Not to overindulge in Shameless Self-Promotion, but have you read the 'Links and Advice' and 'Book Recommendations' sticky posts yet? The 'Links' post (which is mostly meant to guide you to various introductory wiki pages) has a ton of advice, along with some warnings, so you would do well to go through the pages it links to (including the aforementioned 'Getting Started' wiki page). Much of the material in the 'Books' thread is rather dated (a lot of it dating to an earlier forum which was merged with another to form this one, almost 15 years ago), but most of the recommended sources are at least somewhat useful still, or have updated versions which would be worth checking out.

Oh, and if you need a chuckle, definitely check out the OS developer archtypes wiki pages:
Just steer clear of becoming a Dr. Duct von Tape, for your own sake and that of the others here, please.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 am 

PeterX wrote:
Welcome here!
Well, I have mental issues, too. I think it's a good choice to dive into OS-dev. If you are willing to learn a lot, then I think you can make it.

I think Tanenbaum's "OS design and implementation" (old or new edition) might be a good start, but others may have even better advice. Also you should learn Assembler, because when you system-program in any higher language, the low level details are hidden, but they are not away! So knowing Assembler really helps to understand what is "under the hood".

For a start read:
https://wiki.osdev.org/Getting_Started

Greetings
Peter

Thank you very much, Peter! I hope I can make it, too! Will check out Tanenbaum's book! I do have a bit of assembler knowledge as well thankfully, but I'm gonna do a deep dive for this! Will also check out the wiki! Thanks again, it's good to be here! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:27 am 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
Not to overindulge in Shameless Self-Promotion, but have you read the 'Links and Advice' and 'Book Recommendations' sticky posts yet? The 'Links' post (which is mostly meant to guide you to various introductory wiki pages) has a ton of advice, along with some warnings, so you would do well to go through the pages it links to (including the aforementioned 'Getting Started' wiki page). Much of the material in the 'Books' thread is rather dated (a lot of it dating to an earlier forum which was merged with another to form this one, almost 15 years ago), but most of the recommended sources are at least somewhat useful still, or have updated versions which would be worth checking out.

Oh, and if you need a chuckle, definitely check out the OS developer archtypes wiki pages:
Just steer clear of becoming a Dr. Duct von Tape, for your own sake and that of the others here, please.

Thank you very much for the links, I haven't checked them out unfortunately but will do so promptly! And thank you for the dev archtype links, I went through Duct von Tape's and it cracked me up, oh my god I think I have a tendency to become one haha will do my best not to :lol: thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:18 am 

Hi & welcome, Alan! I hope you have fun here, and aren't too bothered by the argumentative types (which sometimes include me, I'm sorry to say). I do like those archetypes; good laughs. I see there's a new one which describes me, but I'm not saying what it is because it's under Archetypes to avoid. ;) That list is at the bottom of What Order Should I Make Things In? which lists the first few fundamentals you'll need to build on.