OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Meanwhile somewhere in my country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:54 am 

I know, this is not OS related, but hopefully fits under "General Ramblings", and it is actual.
Attachment:
resemblance.jpeg
resemblance.jpeg [ 121.71 KiB | Viewed 4370 times ]

Why do I have a feeling that pretty soon the epidemic will be the least of our concerns?

Cheers,
bzt

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile somewhere in my country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:57 am 

Yeah, those measures do seem pretty third-reich-y, don't they? I wonder how long people will put up with it. (Sent from a remote bunker where I'll be completely safe unless I run out of TP... oh, crap.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:01 am 

nullplan wrote:
Yeah, those measures do seem pretty third-reich-y, don't they? I wonder how long people will put up with it. (Sent from a remote bunker where I'll be completely safe unless I run out of TP... oh, crap.)
Yes they do. However I'm a little bit more concerned about our policemen's pshyche and mental health, as they are practicing holding something pistol-looking to people's head and pulling the trigger all day long. I'm afraid they will have no complaints when the medical tool gets replaced by something else...
"cat third_reich.txt | sed s/jew/infected/g > world_today.txt"

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 am 

You published a rant, so don't be surprised if I counter with a rant...:

That's extremist's paranoia. Or do you use your computer to kill people because it can be used to do so? Or do you drive your car over pedestrians because you sit behind a steering wheel? A soldier killing by computer (for example using a drone) or a freak steering his car into a crowd have the same body position as you and use the same tool as you. So if your logic were correct you would soon become a killer.

Or do you hold the typical extremist's hatred of police men?

Or is it rather that you are willing to let old and ill people die from Corona just because you are such an upright fighter for freedom?

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 am 

You should just thank the Lord that your country is taking this pandemic more seriously than the joke that is the USA.

Liberty doesn't necessarily include the liberty to kill hundreds of thousands through inaction.

Be more concerned about the mental health of the emergency services, and the medics, who have to deal with idiots who can't grasp how serious this situation is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:27 am 

Ok, it looks like everyone is missing the point. I'm not saying that we should not make countermesaures against an epidemic. I'm not saying that checking people is bad. I'm not saying we should let old people die. I'm not saying we must not take this seriously.

But for Christ's sake, why does the thermometer has to look exactly like a gun????

Why doesn't it look like a tricorder for example? Or like a flash light? Or like a spray-can? There are so many many options, why it has to be a gun?
Don't tell me if someone has to put a pistol-like object against someone else's head and pull the trigger, and has to repeat that again and again and again all day and every day that doesn't have its toll on their mental state! Of course it does!

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:34 am 

Because that's the best shape for a hand-held instrument to direct at someone from a distance. It's the same reason that radar speed guns are that shape; and have a look at a pyrometer some time.

I suppose you sort about the fact that a Boeing 747 is the same shape as a B52?

You do know that police don't regularly have to carry these things - it's just in the past few weeks because of the current emergency.

Jeez, there are enough things to worry about in this world with inventing paranoid fantasies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:44 am 

iansjack wrote:
Because that's the best shape for a hand-held instrument to direct at someone from a distance.
Nope, this is not true. A spray-can is just as good (actually much much more widespread, think of medicines, inhallators, and also paints, hair-stuff whatever). Or a flash light the doctors use to check your eyes. There's literally nothing gun-like in the health industry, and for a good reason. This is very specific to this pandemic.

George Santayana wrote:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
- I don't want to put a yellow start on my house.
- You're just being paranoid, what could go wrong?
Sounds familiar?

Cheers,
bzt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:03 pm 

You might notice that neither those have a screen that you have to look at.

Perhaps we should wait for someone to design and manufacture a pyrometer that doesn't look like a gun before we start to tackle this problem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm 

You three seem to claim to be the big Anti-Nazi. But you're fantatic and ignorant as the Nazis were: Genocid because you little baby doesn't like Anti-Virus protection. No, you don't want to commit the Nazi atrocities. And no, you don't march in brown uniforms and have no hatred against foreign people. So your are NOT a Nazi. But nontheless you three are dangerous extremists. If you were my rule (minister president etc) I would shoot you. Why? Have you took the effort on you and looked at the Corona death statistics? No? I guessed so. I just say "Italy" as an example of many.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 pm 

If you're including me in "you three" then you need to learn to read.

I've consistently argued in this thread that it it paranoid idiocy to worry about the shape of a medical instrument when we are dealing with a world-wide disaster. The sarcasm in my last post should have been obvious to any known form of intelligence.

In fact I'm so freaking annoyed at you for thinking for one minute that I was expressing a different view that I'd appreciate an apology.

Read the thread again, and think before opening your mouth and putting your foot in it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 pm 

iansjack wrote:
If you're including me in "you three" then you need to learn to read.

I've consistently argued in this thread that it it paranoid idiocy to worry about the shape of a medical instrument when we are dealing with a world-wide disaster. The sarcasm in my last post should have been obvious to any known form of intelligence.

In fact I'm so freaking annoyed at you for thinking for one minute that I was expressing a different view that I'd appreciate an apology.

Read the thread again, and think before opening your mouth and putting your foot in it.

No no, I didn't include you! Really not!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:09 pm 

The third one was George Santayana.

I was totally supporting what you, iansjack said.

EDIT: You are right to be angry. I would be, too. But I really didn't mean you, iansjack.
I apologize for writing simply "you three" which was prone to be misunderstood.
In contrast, I was totally agreeing to all you wrote.
:(

Greetings
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:46 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:56 pm 

This reminds me of someone's argument that skyscrapers are phalic, because it's a man's world, and he imposes his power upon all the women.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next