OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why the topic that I posted about the MSB-OS was locked?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:48 pm 

Why the topic that I posted about the MSB-OS was locked?

Reference: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33866

Post subject: Re: Why the topic that I posted about the MSB-OS was locked?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:44 pm 

You'll find that most forums disapprove of double-posting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 am 

This forum is generally very good about double-posting, unlike some which have a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think this is a case of double-posting; the two topics I see are on entirely different subjects. One is a practical "how to install" question, the other is asking for opinions.

Now, I'm not a moderator of this or any other community, but looking at the title of the locked thread, I think it's insulting to the author of MSB-OS and against the spirit of OS development as a hobby. It's against the wellbeing of this community. We all need help from each other in developing our operating systems, regardless of whether others approve of our designs or not. Approval is a sensitive subject. Here are a couple of reasons why:
  • Fear of disapproval makes it hard to ask for help. OS developers reading expressions of disapproval, especially with reasons behind them, may start to be afraid to ask for help. (I'm trying to be more careful expressing my opinions.)
  • Feelings of disapproval make helpers disinclined to help. Writing thoughts down helps consolidate and clarify them, so replying to a topic which questions approval of an OS may actually cause a person to start disapproving.
A general topic asking about machine code programming might be more appropriate, but bear in mind most people aren't brave or crazy enough to try it, even on this forum. You could say you're fascinated by MSB-OS, but not ask about approval. (I think; I'm still struggling with this "etiquette" thing. :) ) It would be better if you tried a little bit of machine code programming first, rather than asking for opinions out of thin air. Of course, installing MSB-OS would be a good start to trying it out. :) It would be easy enough to start on DOS too, although harder to make anything complex. I'm not sure about newer OSs; you'd probably need a new-ish Intel manual just to find the instruction to make a system call, and the newer manuals are huge! That put me off, actually. I nearly started a machine-code project in Bochs on my tablet the other day, (starting with a text editor, typing characters for the bytes, :D) but I couldn't be bothered to find an old smaller manual.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:53 am 

The last post in the original thread was "What is your opinion of MSB-OS?"

The new thread asked "What is your opinion of MSB-OS?"

I can see why that might be regarded as double-posting, though I'm just guessing that that is why the thread was locked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:33 am 

Ah yes, that makes sense. And I'm just guessing, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 am 

iansjack wrote:
The last post in the original thread was "What is your opinion of MSB-OS?"

The new thread asked "What is your opinion of MSB-OS?"

I can see why that might be regarded as double-posting, though I'm just guessing that that is why the thread was locked.

Yes, I locked the topic because it was a repeat of a question already asked in the original thread, and now I'm going to lock this topic.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]