OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Great places to find out how to read data from disc
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 pm 

Hello fellow OS Developers, I was wondering if you could give me guidance on how to read a DVD disc. I was creating my own game console so far I have pit with sound interrupts with handler, VGA graphics, some 3d graphics (very very primitive) and more my next step is for me to make an underlying OS and simply read the game file from the disc. Is there any way of accomplishing this task? :P

Post subject: Re: Great places to find out how to read data from disc
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:49 pm 

You need to be more specific. Do you mean just reading bytes from the disc? In that case, how is the drive connected to the computer?

Or do you mean actually making sense of the data and programs on the disc? In this case you are up against problems of custom file systems and disc encryption (plus other anti-piracy measures) depending upon what console the discs were made for. Then you need to produce a clone of the operating system of the original console - not a trivial task - to run the programs.

I hope you have many, many years to spare for this project.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:25 pm 

I was referring to reading a disc like a data disc reading game.cpp from this the disc and simply saying ("if its there cool but if not nah forget it just ignore it and take this instead) kinda like an external include but disc wise I noticed that DVDs have specific filesytems how do I make the os read the specific file system so it can be implemented. (kinda like there are many doors to the games but the key is the game file itself) I hope I brought clarification help would be gladly appreciated! maybe an os that can boot into another os like xbox one?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:25 am 

Geekume wrote:
I was creating my own game console

Care to elaborate? What kind of device is it? Are you just using some existing one (e.g. just an x86 PC) or putting one together or what?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 am 

Right now it is just the os for it it is an i386 standard os and it would be yes an x64 generic pc with custom os software i was planning to have an amd sempron though but sorry I don’t know how this part is relevant to the question of the specific driver of reading DVD discs for this is on a hardware level and not software i saw this online https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660 wondered if this is useful

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:34 am 

I think you are confused. A device driver is software, and it is very relevant exactly what hardware you want to run it on.

I don't think the format of the discs for consoles will be standard as you cannot, for example, play XBox discs on a PC. Most will include some form of copy protection to ensure that they only run on the correct hardware.

I think you need gone a lot more specific about what hardware you are using and the OS you intend to run on it. There is no such thing as a "standard i386 OS" - you are just waving your hands in the air. Are you sure that what you are trying to do (and it's still completely unclear what that is) is within your programming capability and knowledge?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:53 am 

im quite sure im sure i just simply thought if you didn’t need to know the specifics for an ata driver then it would be similar ya know? so i guess the question is how to make a cd/dvd driver just like the hard driver an ata driver but in this case its a different device I just want a good lead please :cry: ps https://wiki.osdev.org/Optical_Drive this looks like the thing im looking for. At this time I am not worried about copy protectio that can be another step but it looks like i found what I needed thank you all for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:07 am 

i was just looking for an optical drive driver. I am horrible at explaining things sorry