OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:55 am 

I've started adding graphics support to my OS.

I ported over sdl_picofont and made a graphical terminal. I also wrote a driver for the Bochs Graphics Adapter, and changed my multiboot header to request that Grub sets up a graphical display. That means I have graphics in Qemu and Virtualbox now (and maybe real hardware but I haven't tested it).

I added a little command that displays a bitmap in the bottom right corner, too. I'm pretty pleased with my progress! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:27 am 

I finally got QEMU+TianoCore to load my OS (unusually I was using real hardware to test before I got the emulator set up!) I'm currently working on a NUMA physical memory manager, so I tested my SRAT capabilities (thankyou ACPICA!)
Attachment:
File comment: QEMU with 2 NUMA nodes
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG [ 76.18 KiB | Viewed 5831 times ]

The architecture of my OS is UEFI->osloader->Kernel, so BIOS should be easier to support than I initially thought. The osloader does need to load PE files, so I went and put a DLL linker in it. The result is a dynamically linked kernel C library, ACPICA, and there'll be a Hal. Should make driver development simpler.
Attachment:
File comment: Lots of DLLs
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG [ 125.31 KiB | Viewed 5831 times ]

To be precise, the OS loader sets up paging (well, reuses the UEFI mappings for now), which means a very simple physical memory manager. This involves pulling the first entries of the UEFI memory map and creating a free stack. I create a used stack when allocations are performed, rather than updating the memory map. This gives the kernel access to a page allocation system very early on, which is nice. The kernel can use this to initialise the hefty physical memory manager. Likewise, a recursive mapping is set up, and the slot is passed to the kernel.
Other than that, there's memory map information, framebuffer information (the loader sets mode from configuration or a prompt), and a puts() function.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 am 

My work :)

9428 lines of the pure code (no empty lines or comments) in assembly language (NASM), 23 KiB in size.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm 

Finally, I've added a verbose boot mode.
Now the boot CD have two boot entries, the normal one, and the verbose boot one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 am 

Attachment:
File comment: Starting work on an XHCI driver.
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG [ 104.2 KiB | Viewed 5104 times ]

Since last time, I now have an MP scheduler (very basic, with no priority yet, but it's a start), multithreading, some synchronisation primitives, and have started work on an a quick and dirty xHCI driver. I'm doing xHCI only, since that's what my PC has.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:31 am 

Hi folks. I thought I would introduce Serenity, my 32-bit Unix-like operating system. :)

It's about 7 months old now, and I'm pretty happy with how far it's come. I only ever ran it in emulators, since they make for such a comfortable development environment, but I do hope to eventually make the switch to running on bare metal.

The OSDev wiki has been very helpful to me in this project, so thanks everyone who contributed to it!

Here's what Serenity looked like two days ago:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am 

awesomekling wrote:
Hi folks. I thought I would introduce Serenity, my 32-bit Unix-like operating system. :)

It's about 7 months old now, and I'm pretty happy with how far it's come. I only ever ran it in emulators, since they make for such a comfortable development environment, but I do hope to eventually make the switch to running on bare metal.

The OSDev wiki has been very helpful to me in this project, so thanks everyone who contributed to it!

Here's what Serenity looked like two days ago:

[img]snip[/img]

7 months! Mother of God! How does an individual do something like this in such a short amount of time? You must be really skilled, do you work at Apple or something? :)
Super impressed by your work, this is so next level, you even have your own Visual Studio type app.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:03 am 

Octacone wrote:
7 months! Mother of God! How does an individual do something like this in such a short amount of time? You must be really skilled, do you work at Apple or something? :)
Super impressed by your work, this is so next level, you even have your own Visual Studio type app.

Thanks for the kind words! And that's a very good guess actually, I did work at Apple in the past (on WebKit) :)
There are two main reasons I was able to get this system up and running so fast:

• I rented a remote cabin and spent 6 months there by myself, with nothing else to do.
  • My other hobby project is a reasonably functional x86 PC emulator (also on GitHub), so I knew the ins and outs of a basic PC already. And when something didn't work as expected, I had the comfort of being able to debug it in my own emulator!

The Visual Builder app is coming along nicely, although it can't save or load forms just yet, so it's still very much in the prototype stage.

Here's the famous nyancat program running on Serenity, it was one of the first 3rd party things I got running, fantastic for testing basic terminal functionality:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 am 

This is what my OS can do (the 'test' command runs an application written in a custom 'bytecode' I wrote over 3 months ago)

The reason I went with bytecode instead of bare x86 is because I don't know much of the ins and outs of x86. Plus, it gives me the advantage that I get an additional security layer (though it's not hacker-proof) whereas in x86 I'd have to mess around with protection levels, interrupts etc. I don't want to mess with those for now, so that's why I decided to do that.

Actually, the 'bytecode' was written for the severely limited Harvard-based AVR microcontroller architecture, which can only execute machine code from Flash memory, thus I had a project laying around, so I said 'Eh, why not?'

Attachments:
f.png
f.png [ 22.52 KiB | Viewed 4558 times ]

NanoShell --- A 32-bit operating system whose GUI takes inspiration from Windows 9x and early UNIX desktop managers.
Boron --- A portable SMP operating system taking inspiration from the design of the Windows NT kernel.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 am 

awesomekling wrote:
Octacone wrote:

Thanks for the kind words! And that's a very good guess actually, I did work at Apple in the past (on WebKit) :)
There are two main reasons I was able to get this system up and running so fast:

• I rented a remote cabin and spent 6 months there by myself, with nothing else to do.
  • My other hobby project is a reasonably functional x86 PC emulator (also on GitHub), so I knew the ins and outs of a basic PC already. And when something didn't work as expected, I had the comfort of being able to debug it in my own emulator!

The Visual Builder app is coming along nicely, although it can't save or load forms just yet, so it's still very much in the prototype stage.

Here's the famous nyancat program running on Serenity, it was one of the first 3rd party things I got running, fantastic for testing basic terminal functionality:

Your OS looks very cool, and gives a sort of MacOS feel (with the top menu bar). I really like what you made.

NanoShell --- A 32-bit operating system whose GUI takes inspiration from Windows 9x and early UNIX desktop managers.
Boron --- A portable SMP operating system taking inspiration from the design of the Windows NT kernel.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:18 am 

Hi, I am from Indonesia.
This is what my operating system look like:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 am 

@danaossoftware: Hi! I love your wallpaper. :) I like the lack of clutter too. What happens when you click the calculator buttons?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 am 

Working on 64 bit version and (@klange) usermode window manager.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm 

Not as fancy as the other ones on this page yet, but I finally got a *stable* user mode with ATA and FAT support. Hopefully I can soon implement some sort of permissions and user system.

Attachments:
modet-usermode.png
modet-usermode.png [ 23.42 KiB | Viewed 7301 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:11 am 

Not sure if I posted this already, but I've been working on some UI stuff! Yeah the BMP file is inverted, I don't really know why :(

Attachment:
ttos123.PNG
ttos123.PNG [ 45.57 KiB | Viewed 7168 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230 ... 260  Next