OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm 

I am taking a Computer operations/IT class at school and we got a project to do that is due in May, we have to plan/build a non-conventional PC (not a standard case) and my team on the project decided that we do a shadowbox PC (those large, deep transparent glass frames that you see in hobby stores).

What is all your personal opinions on my team project?

Post subject: Re: Unconventional shadow box PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 pm 

Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:34 pm 

DavidCooper wrote:
Is that a joke, or is IT education really that bad? You're being asked to decorate a PC?

I was looking for a polite way of bringing that general idea across, but thankfully now I don't have to anymore.

If I was tasked with building an unconventional PC, it would probably have a weird CPU architecture, say Microblaze, and an OS no-one's ever heard of. And as web browser it would exclusively run Netscape Navigator or something. Hey, "useful" wasn't in the list of criteria.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm 

DavidCooper wrote:

Wow. What are you talking about?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm 

nullplan wrote:
DavidCooper wrote:

I was looking for a polite way of bringing that general idea across, but thankfully now I don't have to anymore.

If I was tasked with building an unconventional PC, it would probably have a weird CPU architecture, say Microblaze, and an OS no-one's ever heard of. And as web browser it would exclusively run Netscape Navigator or something. Hey, "useful" wasn't in the list of criteria.

That wasn't even the point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 pm 

Seahorse wrote:
nullplan wrote:
DavidCooper wrote:

That wasn't even the point.

It looks like the first attempt to communicate it failed. Try again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:31 pm 

I should have communicated this better.

In the class we are assigned to assemble PC components in some other item like a fishtank or VCR. One group in a previous year even assembled a working guitar PC. The components are of course standard though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 am 

Seahorse wrote:
I should have communicated this better.

In the class we are assigned to assemble PC components in some other item like a fishtank or VCR. One group in a previous year even assembled a working guitar PC. The components are of course standard though.

Well, that'll do for an artsy section of our forum. :)

What does it have to do with programming or OS dev though?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 am 

alexfru wrote:
What does it have to do with programming or OS dev though?

Quote:
General Ramblings
All off topic discussions go here. Everything from the funny thing your cat did to your favorite tv shows. Non-programming computer questions are ok too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 am 

Yep, it's an art project. 8) Results may look very cool, but I don't know what it's doing in an IT course other than as a refreshing break. Oh wait... there are some things specific to electronics: airflow, static electricity, grounding, and not making conductive contact in the wrong places. Maybe shielding, but no-one seems to bother any more.

Recalling some pictures, I've seen a steampunk PC where they mounted the motherboard in a circular baking tray (or two). I suppose it must have been a fully integrated motherboard because there was no depth to it, just this big blank disc on some sort of arm or frame, a small box for the disk drives (just big enough for 2x3.5" drives, I think), and some other gubbins which might have included an even smaller box or pod of some sort. That was just-about the most unusual PC I've seen. I'd like to own it except it requires an integrated motherboard.

Another which made an impression on me was a Star Wars style case. It had this vertical cylindrical case with lots of angular relief in a 3-fold pattern, including 3 vertical strips for windows, and a big triangular motif on top. I think the motherboard was horizontal at the bottom, so the whole thing must have been huge. You'd need craft skills to make the shape and again to produce the used/distressed look.

A simpler steampunk PC was probably based on a conventional tower case, but the bottom bulged out into an impression of a steam engine's boiler. I think the whole thing was clad in strips of wood like very early steam engines.

One of my steampunk ideas I never used included a large slow-turning fan at the front lit by the yellowish light of under-volted grain of wheat bulbs. (They're normally under-volted.) The trouble with this was I wanted a screen to keep the dust out. I later found speaker cloth can work well for that. New idea: Large slow-turning fan behind screen, back-lit to silhouette it. I don't think a slow-turning fan will make much airflow, but you've got the rear fans for that.

There's probably six million more ideas on Youtube, if you need them.

... I should be making cases instead of operating systems, shouldn't I? :roll: