OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 pm 

Nothing impressive or of the other world, has no paging, multitasking, or executables files yet. (well, sincerely I have no idea how to do it, but well ... :( ) At least it's something more than a simple bootloader that just prints "Hello world". :)
Only haves an 80x25 screen resolution, text only. Who needs GUI? A simple shell is enough for everyone! You can have a fancy OS with beautiful GUI, but the kernel can be buggy, or not fully functional. (there are exceptions) Or you can have a ugly shell, but a fully functional kernel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 am 

Now CHicago have it's own assembler + linker for the userspace, with a custom executable format.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:22 am 

All the non-efi stuff (except the loaders) are written for my OS. Now just to find the framebuffer, load the driver and kernel files, and set up virtual memory.

Attachments:
boot0.gif
boot0.gif [ 114.07 KiB | Viewed 5646 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:25 pm 

@K3achas Lol, nice messages :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:57 pm 

First time posting to this forum
This is an image of my kernel loading a kernel object
Attachment:
File comment: Also added a /dev/zero!
modet-limitedmodules.png
modet-limitedmodules.png [ 18.86 KiB | Viewed 5505 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:08 am 

I've not posted a screenshot for a little while since I've largely been working on "invisible" back-end stuff, like hardware autodetection, package management, etc. and haven't had much to show... I've recently returned to working on UI-related stuff, so here goes:

This shows a few "prototype" GUI apps I built relatively quickly based on a port of SDL Widgets (whose stock test program is also visible). At the bottom of the screen, you can see my very early work-in-progress on my own GUI widget system.

EDIT: Here's a bonus screenshot of a much higher resolution display with (nearly; there is evidence of the missing one...) every GUI application that exists for BT/OS visible, along with a bit more work on my widgets:

(Click for full size)

Last edited by mallard on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 am 

mallard, I'm very impressed, nice progress. keep going!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm 

Hi guys,

I decided to update my code base a little. The following is a quick screen shot, nothing fancy, but (if sound was included) you can see that I now (mostly) support the AC97 sound card.

As a side note, I decided to let it boot at 640x480x32 and of course the background image is a little larger and "bleeds" to the top. I will have to fix this.

Anyway, after the interest in the AC97 Post, and after reading over the specs, I decided to see what I could come up with. Surprisingly, the AC97 is actually quite simple to program, once I clarified a few things with different documents.

Anyway, I have an updated (USB) bootable hard drive image (20 Meg) at the home page or a direct link (7 meg zipped).

It is a Lean FS image with the boot and kernel files, fonts, various image formats and now, various sound formats as shown in the listing in the image above.

The GUI runs fine (though a bit slow) in an emulator, i.e.: all images are visible, even the animated .GIFs and animated .PNGs. It runs a lot faster on real hardware since it takes advantage of the hardware's fast memory move features, but some of the images now don't display at all. uuhhmmm. I will have to investigate this.

Anyway, just thought I would put up an update. Thanks to everyone here for keeping this hobby interesting.

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 pm 

BenLunt wrote:
Hi guys,

I decided to update my code base a little. The following is a quick screen shot, nothing fancy, but (if sound was included) you can see that I now (mostly) support the AC97 sound card.

As a side note, I decided to let it boot at 640x480x32 and of course the background image is a little larger and "bleeds" to the top. I will have to fix this.

Anyway, after the interest in the AC97 Post, and after reading over the specs, I decided to see what I could come up with. Surprisingly, the AC97 is actually quite simple to program, once I clarified a few things with different documents.

Anyway, I have an updated (USB) bootable hard drive image (20 Meg) at the home page or a direct link (7 meg zipped).

It is a Lean FS image with the boot and kernel files, fonts, various image formats and now, various sound formats as shown in the listing in the image above.

The GUI runs fine (though a bit slow) in an emulator, i.e.: all images are visible, even the animated .GIFs and animated .PNGs. It runs a lot faster on real hardware since it takes advantage of the hardware's fast memory move features, but some of the images now don't display at all. uuhhmmm. I will have to investigate this.

Anyway, just thought I would put up an update. Thanks to everyone here for keeping this hobby interesting.

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

Excelent work Ben!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:44 am 

After I've started rewriting the whole scheduler/syscall/task/vfs thing, there's not much to show, but now the kernel supports kernel-mode tasks.
And with vesa framebuffer console:

Here's also a screenshot from before I've started the rewrite - signal handling in userspace:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 pm 

mallard wrote:
I've not posted a screenshot for a little while since I've largely been working on "invisible" back-end stuff, like hardware autodetection, package management, etc. and haven't had much to show... I've recently returned to working on UI-related stuff, so here goes:

This shows a few "prototype" GUI apps I built relatively quickly based on a port of SDL Widgets (whose stock test program is also visible). At the bottom of the screen, you can see my very early work-in-progress on my own GUI widget system.

EDIT: Here's a bonus screenshot of a much higher resolution display with (nearly; there is evidence of the missing one...) every GUI application that exists for BT/OS visible, along with a bit more work on my widgets:

(Click for full size)

Looks like Windows 3.x and 9x have been mixed together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 pm 

Hello, World!
Here's the culmination of about 3 to 4 weeks of work in my free time:

Of course it's still missing tons of basic functionality, but since it can load and run an executable, I believe it has just reached the point of being an operating system. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:08 pm 

A new, UEFI based, kernel
And yes, the APs are all started up (trying to boot another OS afterwards hangs, since the SIPIs are lost)
Attachment:
File comment: Topology code (UEFI startup)
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG [ 99.08 KiB | Viewed 6507 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Debugging BST implementation
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG [ 110.15 KiB | Viewed 6507 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Stack allocation
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG [ 101.7 KiB | Viewed 6507 times ]

https://github.com/ChaiSoft/ChaiOS

Last edited by bellezzasolo on Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 am 

In the last few months, I did not do much work on ports. Nevertheless, today I decided to implement the missing stuff for ncurses and nano.

Apart from that, a new major feature in managarm is that userspace drivers can now upload eBPF-like programs to the kernel. The programs are written using C++ expression templates (as in this example), compiled to x86_64 ELF shared libraries by my new SSA compiler library (called lewis), and inserted as kernel modules. This is used to process interrupt handlers synchronously (which previously had to be asynchronously in a mask-irq/wake-drivers/unmask-irq cycle). Hence, this feature improves performance by closing the gap in IRQ latency with respect to monolithic kernels.

Attachments:
nano.png
nano.png [ 82.55 KiB | Viewed 6463 times ]

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:11 am 

I'm trying to learn how to write a simple OS.. here it is! MiaOS
UEFI app style OS written in C and gnu-efi

https://imgur.com/a/bQMU5Ff

Attachments:
File comment: 800x600
213.jpg
213.jpg [ 126.14 KiB | Viewed 6379 times ]
File comment: 1920x1080 (full screen qemu)
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 75.53 KiB | Viewed 6379 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 260  Next