OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 228  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 am
Posts: 236
@MrLolthe1st you should probably add an extra (different color) border to those windows (overlapping titlebars are blending into each other). Otherwise good start :​O)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 6
Image

The cool thing about this screenshot is that it is exported from within the OS itself into a file by copying from the OS' framebuffer device file, and just converted to JPG on my development machine

And since I am here, might as well leave the GitHub link: https://github.com/egranata/puppy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:58 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 316
Image

Image

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 am
Posts: 33
Being Christmas, I decided to have some fun and add a few visual effects to my window manager.
Moving and resizing windows is still nice and smooth in VirtualBox on an optimised build, so I'll probably leave them in.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:04 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:01 pm
Posts: 149
@nakst very nice, that looks brilliant!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Posts: 119
@nakst Is that your OS? Looks awesome! Good job :)
while here I still can't do something as simple as reading the keyboard...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 316
nakst wrote:
Being Christmas, I decided to have some fun and add a few visual effects to my window manager.
Moving and resizing windows is still nice and smooth in VirtualBox on an optimised build, so I'll probably leave them in.


Every time I have gone to look at essence you have trashed your git repository :( . Why do you keep re-initializing things every few months? Makes it impossible to look at history...

The dynamic shadows and blurring are very cool! The shadows seem to have some issues, though, where they show up late and don't disappear with the window. Does it work for non-rectangular windows? I opted not to do dynamic shadows because the challenge of making it work for shaped windows proved to be too much of an investment. It looks like the corners of your rounded windows are still casting shadows as if they were filled.

I continue to love your widget toolkit - looks great with the visual styles, and the interactions feel very complete.

I had some trouble on VirtualBox with the mouse - it seemed like it was often getting stuck in different regions of the screen. It will also randomly jump around sometimes. I also seem to have trashed the filesystem.

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 am
Posts: 33
klange wrote:
Every time I have gone to look at essence you have trashed your git repository :( . Why do you keep re-initializing things every few months? Makes it impossible to look at history...

I was attempting to learn how to use git's branches. It didn't go well.

klange wrote:
The dynamic shadows and blurring are very cool! The shadows seem to have some issues, though, where they show up late and don't disappear with the window.

Yes, I think there are a few edge cases to work out, specifically with the menus.

klange wrote:
Does it work for non-rectangular windows? I opted not to do dynamic shadows because the challenge of making it work for shaped windows proved to be too much of an investment. It looks like the corners of your rounded windows are still casting shadows as if they were filled.

On the window border image I manually added a shadow behind the rounded corners. Nothing fancy.

klange wrote:
I continue to love your widget toolkit - looks great with the visual styles, and the interactions feel very complete.

Thank you. But while I have concentrated on the GUI, my kernel has become somewhat neglected.

klange wrote:
I had some trouble on VirtualBox with the mouse - it seemed like it was often getting stuck in different regions of the screen. It will also randomly jump around sometimes.

I have seen this problem a lot of the time before, also in Qemu. But I'm not sure that it's my OS's fault, since exiting and re-entering mouse grab seems to fix it. I should probably investigate it further though.

klange wrote:

The filesystem driver refuses to mount a volume that was not properly unmounted. And there's no way to unmount volumes yet. It's a work in progress :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:15 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Paris, France
Hello alls, and happy new year...

There is some amassing systems here, and it's been some time I wanted to contribute to this thread.

As I started the development of my windows manager, I wanted to take the opportunity to show you my personal system "KoraOS".
The OS still can't be interact with, but I'm on the way of getting all of the basics (vfs, network, pipes, fork, signals, users, gui...)

I already have :
    Reading FS: ISO9660 and FAT16
    A network stack with DHCP configuration (it just send packets, not sockets)
    A ELF image loader with dynamic linking (loading the kernel modules from TAR image)


Right now, I'm focused on sending input events to the active window, and fixing some time management issues.

More to come soon I hope. Cheers, :D

Image

_________________
Busy developing KoraOS ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:11 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 316
Image

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:37 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 pm
Posts: 570
Location: USA
I was working with my image support and .BMP files were just to big in size (file size), so I decided to implement .PNG images, which now must include a ZLIB decoder.

Image

Can you tell I am a TRON fan...

By doing so, I even found a bug in my LEANFS code when a file spanned more than one band. :-)

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:37 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 pm
Posts: 570
Location: USA
How about one more:

The newton's cradle image is an animated .gif and the little 3D blocks in the center is an animated .png.

(I don't know why tron3.png (upper right image) doesn't show the bottom third. It use to.....)

Image

I now have:
- .gif and animated .gif images (though the animation needs a little work)
- .png and animated .png images
- .tga files
- .pcx files
- .bmp files

I guess .jpeg would be next, but this image format is a bit more complicated. :-)

- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:23 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 316
BenLunt wrote:
I guess .jpeg would be next, but this image format is a bit more complicated. :-)

- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

JPEG is less complicated than PNG, I think, just requires a bit of math. I have a little JPEG decoder in ToaruOS.

_________________
toaruos on github | toaruos.org | gitlab | twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:33 pm
Posts: 570
Location: USA
klange wrote:
BenLunt wrote:
I guess .jpeg would be next, but this image format is a bit more complicated. :-)

- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

JPEG is less complicated than PNG, I think, just requires a bit of math. I have a little JPEG decoder in ToaruOS.

I thought PNG was fairly easy once I got the documentation figured out. I will have another look at JPEG and visit your decoder to see how you do it.

Thanks,
Ben


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:28 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 am
Posts: 923
Location: Finland
BenLunt wrote:
so I decided to implement .PNG images, which now must include a ZLIB decoder


As a side note, I did not want to use ZLIB in my project so I decided to write my own tools that use Deflate. I don't have the decoder at this point but I have a tool that can produce ZIP files. The encoder is embarrassingly naive but I was very surprised that the compression ratio is not that bad. For example, I packed all the source code files that I have in the project and compared it to a Linux "zip" (with -9 option):

Code:
        My zip:    176 KiB (roughly)
        Linux zip: 146 KiB (roughly)


The other example is all the disk images (~ 12 MiB) I have and the numbers are "185 KiB (my)" and "111 KiB (Linux)". Here the difference is definitely bigger.

_________________
Undefined behavior since 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225 ... 228  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bzt, GhelloWorld, MSN [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group