OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 pm 

Hi,

I know it doesn't look much, but there's a micro-kernel with UNIX pipes, fullscreen VT100 pseudo-tty and GUI compositor under the hood. Everything is my own design (including the memory allocator, file system, etc. except qsort). The build system supports both GNU gcc+ld and LLVM clang+lld toolchains.

There's still a long way to go, there're things to fix, probably I'll rewrite the dynamic ELF linker next. The AArch64 port is in very early stage too: it already can boot on real machine (RPi3), parses it's configuration file, sets up PMM+VMM; LFB, syslog and serial debug console works too, but that's all for now.

More screenshots and details on the project's homepage.

Attachments:
File comment: rescue shell
oszrsh.png
oszrsh.png [ 7.96 KiB | Viewed 6267 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:50 pm 

(Readme file is one-month-long)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:13 pm 

IIRC, the last time that i posted here, i was using my old codebase, now i'm using my own bootloader, and i'm not using text mode anymore.
For now, it can read ISO9660 and have a E1000 driver + ARP request/reply support for my "ping" program.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 am 

@MrLolthe1st you should probably add an extra (different color) border to those windows (overlapping titlebars are blending into each other). Otherwise good start :​O)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:55 pm 

The cool thing about this screenshot is that it is exported from within the OS itself into a file by copying from the OS' framebuffer device file, and just converted to JPG on my development machine

And since I am here, might as well leave the GitHub link: https://github.com/egranata/puppy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:58 am 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 am 

Being Christmas, I decided to have some fun and add a few visual effects to my window manager.
Moving and resizing windows is still nice and smooth in VirtualBox on an optimised build, so I'll probably leave them in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:04 pm 

@nakst very nice, that looks brilliant!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:06 pm 

@nakst Is that your OS? Looks awesome! Good job :)
while here I still can't do something as simple as reading the keyboard...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:42 pm 

nakst wrote:
Being Christmas, I decided to have some fun and add a few visual effects to my window manager.
Moving and resizing windows is still nice and smooth in VirtualBox on an optimised build, so I'll probably leave them in.

Every time I have gone to look at essence you have trashed your git repository :( . Why do you keep re-initializing things every few months? Makes it impossible to look at history...

The dynamic shadows and blurring are very cool! The shadows seem to have some issues, though, where they show up late and don't disappear with the window. Does it work for non-rectangular windows? I opted not to do dynamic shadows because the challenge of making it work for shaped windows proved to be too much of an investment. It looks like the corners of your rounded windows are still casting shadows as if they were filled.

I continue to love your widget toolkit - looks great with the visual styles, and the interactions feel very complete.

I had some trouble on VirtualBox with the mouse - it seemed like it was often getting stuck in different regions of the screen. It will also randomly jump around sometimes. I also seem to have trashed the filesystem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 am 

klange wrote:
Every time I have gone to look at essence you have trashed your git repository :( . Why do you keep re-initializing things every few months? Makes it impossible to look at history...

I was attempting to learn how to use git's branches. It didn't go well.

klange wrote:
The dynamic shadows and blurring are very cool! The shadows seem to have some issues, though, where they show up late and don't disappear with the window.

Yes, I think there are a few edge cases to work out, specifically with the menus.

klange wrote:
Does it work for non-rectangular windows? I opted not to do dynamic shadows because the challenge of making it work for shaped windows proved to be too much of an investment. It looks like the corners of your rounded windows are still casting shadows as if they were filled.

On the window border image I manually added a shadow behind the rounded corners. Nothing fancy.

klange wrote:
I continue to love your widget toolkit - looks great with the visual styles, and the interactions feel very complete.

Thank you. But while I have concentrated on the GUI, my kernel has become somewhat neglected.

klange wrote:
I had some trouble on VirtualBox with the mouse - it seemed like it was often getting stuck in different regions of the screen. It will also randomly jump around sometimes.

I have seen this problem a lot of the time before, also in Qemu. But I'm not sure that it's my OS's fault, since exiting and re-entering mouse grab seems to fix it. I should probably investigate it further though.

klange wrote:

The filesystem driver refuses to mount a volume that was not properly unmounted. And there's no way to unmount volumes yet. It's a work in progress :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 pm 

Hello alls, and happy new year...

There is some amassing systems here, and it's been some time I wanted to contribute to this thread.

As I started the development of my windows manager, I wanted to take the opportunity to show you my personal system "KoraOS".
The OS still can't be interact with, but I'm on the way of getting all of the basics (vfs, network, pipes, fork, signals, users, gui...)

I already have :
    Reading FS: ISO9660 and FAT16
    A network stack with DHCP configuration (it just send packets, not sockets)
    A ELF image loader with dynamic linking (loading the kernel modules from TAR image)

Right now, I'm focused on sending input events to the active window, and fixing some time management issues.

More to come soon I hope. Cheers, :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:11 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:37 pm 

I was working with my image support and .BMP files were just to big in size (file size), so I decided to implement .PNG images, which now must include a ZLIB decoder.

Can you tell I am a TRON fan...

By doing so, I even found a bug in my LEANFS code when a file spanned more than one band. :-)

Ben
- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:37 pm 

How about one more:

The newton's cradle image is an animated .gif and the little 3D blocks in the center is an animated .png.

(I don't know why tron3.png (upper right image) doesn't show the bottom third. It use to.....)

I now have:
- .gif and animated .gif images (though the animation needs a little work)
- .png and animated .png images
- .tga files
- .pcx files
- .bmp files

I guess .jpeg would be next, but this image format is a bit more complicated. :-)

- http://www.fysnet.net/osdesign_book_series.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 260  Next