OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: install code at boot sector of floppy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:54 am 

Just as an aside, be very sure that you only run this software (for educational purposes) on computers that you own. I would hate for anyone here to be instrumental in the commission of a crime. (Obviously, this depends upon the laws where you live.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:58 am 

Why you think that i "copy-pasted" my source code. I write this source code.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 am 

Not setting the direction flag before a repeated mov is a potential for diaster. It's also advisable to explicitly set the segment registers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:31 am 

Before I go on, I will mention something that I feel is quite telling: you haven't said anything about how you are doing all of this. What is your development host OS? What emulator and/or hardware are you testing it with? What assembler are you using? What is the insertion code running under/targeting? How are you running the insertion code? What type of disk are you targeting?

I will post some comments on the code itself shortly, but I want to hear what your answers are for this first. I am sure that it will tell us all about the code which you say you wrote yourself.

bruninho wrote:
Octocontrabass wrote:
Why are you writing a keylogger?

For educational purposes.

If so, then you are wasting time you could better use learning something else. From a technical standpoint, writing a keylogger has all the finesse of rolling a ball down a hill, and all the technical challenge of washing dirty dishes. It's boring, and not in a 'finger exercises' or 'sharpening the ax' sense, either - it does nothing to refine your skill or enhance your knowledge of the craft. The only thing you will learn from making a keylogger is how pointless writing your own keylogger is.

Of course, from a practical standpoint, they are anything but pointless, but then again, if you simply wanted to use a keylogger, you would use one of the tens of thousands already out there, written by people who already know this business and have it down to a science.

bruninho wrote:
Why you think that i "copy-pasted" my source code. I write this source code.

First off, what Octocontrabass said was that you might have copy-pasted it wrong. On it's own, this doesn't imply that you copy-pasted it from somewhere else; you could have copied it from an earlier part of this very code, or cut and pasted it while editing the code. All OCB was saying was that part of it seemed to be in the wrong place.

Interesting that you jumped to that conclusion, though. Sounds a bit defensive, don't you agree?

That having been said, the way it was said, and the context in which was said, does raise that question. I cannot speak for Octocontrabass, but I can think of a few reasons why.

The first one that comes to mind is, because that is what OCB's (and my own) experience in this group - especially experience with the sort of script kiddies who are interested in this sort of thing, and think they can lie to us about what they are trying to do and get away with it - says is likely to be the case. I don't know if you are one of those script kiddies or not, but you certain sound like one; regardless, of whether you are or you aren't, you need to up your game if you think this sort of post will avoid being questioned about that here.

But that's not the only reason. The code itself gives plenty of indications of being Frankensteined together from several sources. uneven in style and design. The inconsistency in capitalization, in particular, seems to make it unlikely to come from a single coder. The awkward flow of the code is less what comes from inexperience, and more what you would expect from feckless copypasta.