OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Anyone interested in CPU design?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:09 am 

I've made a few small MISC designs in Logisim in between classes, it was a bit fun and relaxing I guess. I'd started a larger project at some point, but ended up stopping (depression spell). I got a Cyclone IV board that I have yet to put to good use, but I'll probably get back to it some day.
I was wondering if anyone else is interested in the topic, it used to fill my 'breaks' from programming and learning, along with writing TI-BASIC.

Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in CPU design?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:23 am 

It's fun, but it's hard to make something decent and usable unless there's a lot of man-hours available. You'd need to build a computer and write quite a bit of software for it, beginning with a compiler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:27 am 

alexfru wrote:
It's fun, but it's hard to make something decent and usable unless there's a lot of man-hours available. You'd need to build a computer and write quite a bit of software for it, beginning with a compiler.

For building in actual hardware? Definitely
I plan on doing a hardware processor using logic ICs at some point, but doing anything more complex than a brainfuck-like computer is gonna take forever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:24 am 

Yeah, the topic has been discussed a number of times here, and in fact GlauxOSDev has set up a separate site for it, CPUdev.org. I don't know how far it has gotten, though. This doesn't mean you shouldn't discuss it here, of course, just know that it has come up before.

I should also warn you that there have been a few cranks on this site (and I say that as a crank myself) who have tried to shove various hardware proposals down this forum's collective throat, most notably Geri and Tilde, so you may find some people here to be... skeptical about any 'serious' proposals to promote one or another design. It doesn't sound as if this is where you are going with it, but you probably want to be aware of that history and how it may predispose some people here about the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:17 pm 

Schol-R-LEA wrote:
Yeah, the topic has been discussed a number of times here, and in fact GlauxOSDev has set up a separate site for it, CPUdev.org. I don't know how far it has gotten, though. This doesn't mean you shouldn't discuss it here, of course, just know that it has come up before.

I should also warn you that there have been a few cranks on this site (and I say that as a crank myself) who have tried to shove various hardware proposals down this forum's collective throat, most notably Geri and Tilde, so you may find some people here to be... skeptical about any 'serious' proposals to promote one or another design. It doesn't sound as if this is where you are going with it, but you probably want to be aware of that history and how it may predispose some people here about the topic.

Thanks for the heads up. I've stumbled upon CPUDev.org before, nice site. Yeah I'm not trying to throw any designs at you guys, just was wondering if people enjoy it too.