OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to generate GRUB 2 iso under Windows
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm 

I'm following the tutorials in Windows 10 64-bits. I'm stuck in the part of generating an iso, how I supposed to do this in Windows? '-'

Sorry for the bad english in advance ;-;

|AetherOS Project|

Post subject: Re: How to generate GRUB 2 iso under Windows
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 pm 

Hi,

I've found that by far the easiest way to follow all the tutorials in Windows is to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (and use the Ubuntu shell). Every tutorial I've tested so far from the wiki has worked very well.

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm 

AJ wrote:
Hi,

I've found that by far the easiest way to follow all the tutorials in Windows is to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (and use the Ubuntu shell). Every tutorial I've tested so far from the wiki has worked very well.

Cheers,
Adam

I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 now lol :D Now everything ir running fine (less GCC who don't want to compile ;-;)

|AetherOS Project|

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 am 

Hey,

I'm using grub-mkrescue too, and GRUB2 was actually running well in older versions of Cygwin but for some reason they seem to have removed it from the repositories. I've built it in Cygwin by hand previously, but for some reason it didn't build all the tools, I guess there are still some issues.

The WSL approach sounds quite good, did any of you also get a cross toolchain build under it?

Greets

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 am 

Hi,

max wrote:
...for some reason they seem to have removed it from the repositories. I've built it in Cygwin by hand previously, but for some reason it didn't build all the tools

GRUB failing to build is what pushed me in to WSL too and I've never looked back. IIRC, it was first Cygwin 64 that failed for me and then GRUB started not to build in the 32 bit version too(?). I've tested several "latest release" GCC and binutils builds and they all work as per the wiki (follow instructions for apt-based systems).

In fact, I've previously mentioned on the forums that I think WSL should become our default recommendation for Windows users as it is now out of beta and a mainline Windows feature.

There is one "catch". If you want to edit your files in a Windows-based IDE, you need to store your files in your normal Windows filesystem and then symlink in WSL. This is the only way to ensure that both systems see the same file version. It's very easy - a simple "ln -s /mnt/c/Users/n/Documents/myproject" is all that is needed. I run GCC and my build process from WSL and use the Eclipse IDE.

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:23 am 

So, yesterday I discovered something, Ubuntu 18.04 is a crazy ****. Broken packages and things like this, so I'm migrating to Fedora 28 and succefully built a Cross compiler by hand using: GCC 7.3.0, Binutils 2.30 and GDB 8.1. Idk how to use GDB but debug is very important so I added it to mah toolchain :D

I'm lucky bcs I learn fast, so I'm really loving Linux (Fedora 28 with KDE Plasma at least) :) Thank you guys for posting your ideas and tips. Good coding and stay cheeki breeki :3

|AetherOS Project|