OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sept 2017 outage
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Linode screwed up a scheduled VPS migration. When the migration finished they had also managed to change out the network interfaces in the VPS so the network config was no longer valid. So fun...

Thanks to everyone that emailed me, the primary MX is different so I did get your messages.

A couple of you asked about backups. I run mysqldump every Mon and Thurs and sync the backups offsite. There is also a weekly wiki html scrap that is available at http://files.osdev.org/osdev_wiki.zip

Edit: The VPS migration was mandatory because they are switching over to a new datacenter.

Post subject: Re: Sept 2017 outage
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:18 pm 

Thanks a lot for letting us know, and for your effort in running this site! This is highly appreciated.

My university will update and migrate their cloud server in about 11 hours. I hope they will manage without problems...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:34 am 

Just to say thanks for the hard work you put in running this site.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 am 

Thanks for the effort. Best of luck in all your endeavors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:05 am 

Many many thanks for fixing it. You are the best!
I thought it was over and that I would have to find another hobby. Fortunately it is not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:37 am 

Thanks for bringing it back online! Happy to hear it was just migration problems.

I got a bit worried for a moment there. We have a very low bus factor for osdev.org. If you suddenly ever become unable to maintain osdev.org, is there any plan in place for how the community can take over control? If you trust any of the moderators enough, you could give that person ssh access (or maybe just mysql access) so that person takes ownership if you disappear. Alternatively, you could setup a death man's switch that mails a ssh password to that person. The same could be done with ownership of the osdev.org domain itself. Since you appear to be using @osdev.org for your personal mail, community domain control might be a risk for you though.

I've set up a cronjob to download the osdev wiki weekly zip to one of my servers. Which day is it generated on? It doesn't come with the page histories, so it is a bit of a loss of copyright information. Your backup scheme sounds good to me. Could the community be given automatic access to those off-site backups, or can we arrange backups to community-operated servers?