OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 pm 

I got my basic PS/2 Keyboard driver to boot from an ISO, so that's nice. Typing is still choppy and weird, but it works!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:37 pm 

Serving the Sortix git repository from Sortix itself using ssh and http clone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am 

I don't think I have ever even shown off my os on this thread, so why not now...

Here is a general feel of the desktop:

And here is the text editor with a program in AQUA Basic (note this is not a functional code, it's just to show the syntax highlighting)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 pm 

obiwac wrote:
I don't think I have ever even shown off my os on this thread, so why not now...

Looks good! Relatively unique GUIs are always fun to see.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:16 am 

I got the USB keyboard and screen working on my ARM64 project today, planning to move on to writing an exception table and maybe write a PCI subsytem.

Some assembly was very refreshing after web development for money with Vue.JS PHP etc, im glad I have 1 day a week to get away from that xd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 am 

gungomanj wrote:
Some assembly was very refreshing after web development for money with Vue.JS PHP etc, im glad I have 1 day a week to get away from that xd

I feel you. Web development can get very boring after a few years... unfortunately we only have so little spare time!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 am 

dseller wrote:
gungomanj wrote:

I feel you. Web development can get very boring after a few years... unfortunately we only have so little spare time!

It used to be more fun in the vanilla PHP and jquery days. More problems to solve and more software design = more fun. These framework brainlets killed webdev because they are too stupid to use JS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm 

Attachment:
fullmoon_shell.png
fullmoon_shell.png [ 11.08 KiB | Viewed 10481 times ]

Got a (simple) shell working on top of my os. terminal support is not yet implemented, so keyboard echoing and basic line editing is done through a seperate (background) process that replaces the direct keyboard input with the output of a pipe, and then does all the echoing and line editing before pushing the input along on the pipe. Everything else is functional though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 am 

The process of making an operating system from scratch also includes boring GUI stuff. #osdev #gui

Attachments:
File comment: GUI
gui.png
gui.png [ 8.25 KiB | Viewed 10334 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:06 am 

Nonono, you're supposed to brag about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm 

FelixBoop wrote:
obiwac wrote:

Looks good! Relatively unique GUIs are always fun to see.

thanks! :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:16 am 

Attachment:
Screenshot from 2017-10-04 13-14-17.png
Screenshot from 2017-10-04 13-14-17.png [ 11.36 KiB | Viewed 9583 times ]

I'd like to show you all a fancy GUI, a networking stack, or even just a bash prompt.

But no, I'm rewriting Tupai, my OS, for the 7th time. I'm considering heading towards a microkernel design. I'll decide when I get to the stage where making a decision is necessary.

I've switched to C, having previously used C++, and I'm much happier. The kernel code is definitely cleaner, more efficient, and more rugged than previously.

Also, it's designed for Multiboot 2!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 am 

zesterer wrote:
Attachment:
Screenshot from 2017-10-04 13-14-17.png

I'd like to show you all a fancy GUI, a networking stack, or even just a bash prompt.

But no, I'm rewriting Tupai, my OS, for the 7th time. I'm considering heading towards a microkernel design. I'll decide when I get to the stage where making a decision is necessary.

I've switched to C, having previously used C++, and I'm much happier. The kernel code is definitely cleaner, more efficient, and more rugged than previously.

Also, it's designed for Multiboot 2!

7th time wow, I can relate to you. :P Looks like some people just love rewriting their OSes over and over.
What is wrong with C++? What problems did you run into? I've recently (~5 months ago) switched to C++ and things are definitely easier to work with and organize.
Nah, don't go micro yet, that is a really big big switch IMHO, lots of specific things to consider.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 am 

Octacone wrote:
7th time wow, I can relate to you. :P Looks like some people just love rewriting their OSes over and over.
What is wrong with C++? What problems did you run into? I've recently (~5 months ago) switched to C++ and things are definitely easier to work with and organize.
Nah, don't go micro yet, that is a really big big switch IMHO, lots of specific things to consider.

It wasn't so much that I had a problem with C++: I love the language, and it can be extremely expressive. If you excuse the ridiculous naming conventions of its standard library, it's incredibly powerful too.

The problem I found was that I got bogged down in details. I'd write my own implementation of std::vector. It would work, but then I'd realise a month down the line that there was a bug in it. I'd go back to fix that, and this became a common thing. The more I tried to create abstractions: automatic reference counting, smart data structures, etc. the more time I consumed working on things that weren't core features of the OS. I got myself stuck in a pit where, for about 2 months, I added virtually no new features to my OS, instead spending my time improving and adding needless overhead to my kernel in an effort to produce correct code.

I moved to C, and things are much nicer. Most code is actually shorter, it doesn't do strange things in the background, you mostly don't have to care about constructing static objects, it doesn't mangle function names (putting 'extern "C"' at the beginning of stuff gets boring very quickly), and the syntax is SO simple that it feels more like you're working with the underlying machine rather than the language. Its syntax seems to be designed to just get out of the way, without any distractions like OO, templating, constexpr, lambda functions, global construction, etc.

My conclusion is this: C++ is superb for userland applications. But for my kernel, I'm going to use C for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 pm 

A simple window.

Attachments:
gui2.png
gui2.png [ 5.19 KiB | Viewed 9132 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 260  Next