OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is you other Programming projects beside OS DEV?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 pm 

I was wondering , since OS dev is a very huge and time-consuming task, what's your side programming projects for example you work at some what company or you are making a program for windows?? also (How Or When Or What time) do you work on both projects for example 2 hours for os dev, 2 hours for other project...

For me, I am making a OpenGL & DirectX game engine, still in early development but meh...
Also I start coding & working on a project once I get bored with another, and If I get bored with both of them , I just play battlefield...

So what about you?

Last edited by zlixine on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What is you other Programming projects other OS DEV?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:34 pm 

I have a core OS kernel project. I add everything I do to it for avoid having to switch contexts and get a divided effort as an individual, which is bad.

I also have a library project that accompanies my kernel. If I can't currently add something to my kernel code base and make it look clean and implemented as finally actually usable code, then I just put it in my library project. My library contains absolutely everything I've ever been able to implement functionally. Some day the things in my library of projects will work under my OS, but with this layout I'm speeding up making the moments where I will add more capabilities to my own system.

I want to stay at the maximum height and reach that OS development gives me, so I have to add everything I do to it in one way or another to avoid things like being distracted simply "enjoying" to see what the newest version of Windows do in astonishment, instead of concentrating in examining existing code and information (books, digital, webpages...) to do it myself.

I have even added a directory for a "crazy library" for my kernel and per application, where I'm supposed to add big bulks of my own code and existing code, test how things work, develop good and clean code, and then move that clean code to my main kernel code base.

I also have a tmp directory for each subdirectory or place where I plan to alter critical code, so I can save the current version of code before altering the other copy to be compiled.

I also make a periodic copy of my code where I start a day with the idea of adding or changing something in my kernel or program. I have my archived good version of the code and then I make a copy of it. Now I'm free to alter this copy as much as I want. If the code finally breaks, I can go back to my previous archived code and make another copy. I don't delete those copies because I will move whatever good thing I developed to my main archived code. I will also periodically make this copy of the code the new main archived good code, when I feel that I have added enough changes as to make it more practical to just use it instead of moving individual changes to my previous good code, but with that I make it easier every time to locate those chances as I will learn how to make a more fragmented code from where I will be able to see and label the changes that I have added.

I also don't try to force myself to stay in front of the computer. I can simply go somewhere else with pencil, eraser and several pages, and also small transparent plastic bags. With this, I will think up the steps of an individual program or task to complete atomically, that I can write step by step ripping small pieces of paper to write 1 step per piece of paper. In this way I can do anything else, but I will also be thinking up numbered steps that I will implement when I feel that the stack of steps in paper is complete and there's nothing else to add for that logic sequence. In this way I can think of any number of things I want to do, write them step by step, and the things I complete describing step by step will be the things that I can not only choose to do but actually know how to do.

Now I don't even need to lock myself in front of the machine. I just need to write the needed practical steps to implement and then go back when I have enough logic to execute as a human, with an executable library to act out. I can even use used paper for this, what matters is that what I write is readable.

In this way, I will never lose the fun of programming or other development/study/learning tasks.

YouTube:
http://youtube.com/@AltComp126/streams
http://youtube.com/@proyectos/streams

http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 7z?viasf=1

Post subject: Re: What is you other Programming projects other OS DEV?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 pm 

~ wrote:
I have a core OS kernel project. I add everything I do to it for avoid having to switch contexts and get a divided effort as an individual, which is bad.

I also have a library project that accompanies my kernel. If I can't currently add something to my kernel code base and make it look clean and implemented as finally actually usable code, then I just put it in my library project. My library contains absolutely everything I've ever been able to implement functionally. Some day the things in my library of projects will work under my OS, but with this layout I'm speeding up making the moments where I will add more capabilities to my own system.

I want to stay at the maximum height and reach that OS development gives me, so I have to add everything I do to it in one way or another to avoid things like being distracted simply "enjoying" to see what the newest version of Windows do in astonishment, instead of concentrating in examining existing code and information (books, digital, webpages...) to do it myself.

I have even added a directory for a "crazy library" for my kernel and per application, where I'm supposed to add big bulks of my own code and existing code, test how things work, develop good and clean code, and then move that clean code to my main kernel code base.

I also have a tmp directory for each subdirectory or place where I plan to alter critical code, so I can save the current version of code before altering the other copy to be compiled.

I also make a periodic copy of my code where I start a day with the idea of adding or changing something in my kernel or program. I have my archived good version of the code and then I make a copy of it. Now I'm free to alter this copy as much as I want. If the code finally breaks, I can go back to my previous archived code and make another copy. I don't delete those copies because I will move whatever good thing I developed to my main archived code. I will also periodically make this copy of the code the new main archived good code, when I feel that I have added enough changes as to make it more practical to just use it instead of moving individual changes to my previous good code, but with that I make it easier every time to locate those chances as I will learn how to make a more fragmented code from where I will be able to see and label the changes that I have added.

I also don't try to force myself to stay in front of the computer. I can simply go somewhere else with pencil, eraser and several pages, and also small transparent plastic bags. With this, I will think up the steps of an individual program or task to complete atomically, that I can write step by step ripping small pieces of paper to write 1 step per piece of paper. In this way I can do anything else, but I will also be thinking up numbered steps that I will implement when I feel that the stack of steps in paper is complete and there's nothing else to add for that logic sequence. In this way I can think of any number of things I want to do, write them step by step, and the things I complete describing step by step will be the things that I can not only choose to do but actually know how to do.

Now I don't even need to lock myself in front of the machine. I just need to write the needed practical steps to implement and then go back when I have enough logic to execute as a human, with an executable library to act out. I can even use used paper for this, what matters is that what I write is readable.

In this way, I will never lose the fun of programming or other development/study/learning tasks.

So basically OS dev is your only main programming project?

Post subject: Re: What is you other Programming projects beside OS DEV?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

You can see my main projects as I add them here:
http://devel.archefire.org/files.php?file=/PRJ
http://www.archefire.org/
http://devel.archefire.org/mirrors/

I have a website, I've made a simple ICY ShoutCAST server in PHP, a GIF renderer in HTML5, a PC emulator in HTML5, a program to record the sequence and timing of your text typing, a tree-like index again in HTML5, a Win32 Portable Executable written in pure assembly that contains absolutely all standard DLL functions imported up to Windows 10 (WinAPI, DirectX, common dialogs, common controls, MFC) so that I can simply call them at any time but have them globally present in the same executable without loading the WinAPI by fragments just as in JavaScript or PHP (it doesn't look different than a normal program created by a compiler), code to create TAR archives in HTML5, a file cutter to create sequential pieces from a file, a program to turn off the monitor for Windows, a tiny assembly source file to make x86 assembly portable to 16, 32 and 64-bit modes, several assembly source files with very well commented values down to the bit level for VGA, ATA disks, DMA, etc., an SQLite3 database with IPv4 addresses/ranges and their corresponding countries, another SQLite3 database containing many domain names and URLs from Alexa (updated daily), another SQLite3 database intended to join all words in all languages and their synonyms/antonyms/etc., to help searching and human language processing seeing human language as one same dictionary, my low level RealC language and compiler in HTML (which is really not so necessary using my x86 Portable header file), an ~840GB copy of Geocities from ArchiveTeam, a program to open random files or URLs from an SQLite3 database every given seconds, a program to wait/sleep in the Windows console for a given number of seconds, mirrors of Programmer's Heaven/Wotsit.org file formats/Craig Hart and PCI utilities/old OSDever.net; and of course the many tricks of my kernel. With my father I've been able to learn basic electronics and I've been learning to make small control programs using things like the PC16F84. The PICs can also be used to implement TinyVGA, PS/2 to serial converters, and other useful PC things. I've also bought integrated circuits for trying to make a PCI Sound Blaster 16/Vibra 16S/AWE32/AWE64 clone, but I see that I have a lot to learn for that.

I want to learn absolutely everything. Then I can do anything, the highest point being an operating system.

The point is that I can reuse the same code and high level tricks in my kernel and in my projects. I just need to keep it reusable to make any programming level as accessible as the rest or as JavaScript programming.

What I do is putting all my low level projects along with my kernel in one same package, and the rest as the software and documents library in another single package, to make it and my "normal" projects actually useful for something, and make the packages help each other without considering that I'm in user or kernel projects, I'm just adding more to my knowledge.

YouTube:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 pm 

~ wrote:
You can see my main projects as I add them here:
http://devel.archefire.org/files.php?file=/PRJ
http://www.archefire.org/
http://devel.archefire.org/mirrors/

I have a website, I've made a simple ICY ShoutCAST server in PHP, a GIF renderer in HTML5, a PC emulator in HTML5, a program to record the sequence and timing of your text typing, a tree-like index again in HTML5, a Win32 Portable Executable written in pure assembly that contains absolutely all standard DLL functions imported up to Windows 10 (WinAPI, DirectX, common dialogs, common controls, MFC) so that I can simply call them at any time but have them globally present in the same executable without loading the WinAPI by fragments just as in JavaScript or PHP (it doesn't look different than a normal program created by a compiler), code to create TAR archives in HTML5, a file cutter to create sequential pieces from a file, a program to turn off the monitor for Windows, a tiny assembly source file to make x86 assembly portable to 16, 32 and 64-bit modes, several assembly source files with very well commented values down to the bit level for VGA, ATA disks, DMA, etc., an SQLite3 database with IPv4 addresses/ranges and their corresponding countries, another SQLite3 database containing many domain names and URLs from Alexa (updated daily), another SQLite3 database intended to join all words in all languages and their synonyms/antonyms/etc., to help searching and human language processing seeing human language as one same dictionary, my low level RealC language and compiler in HTML (which is really not so necessary using my x86 Portable header file), an ~840GB copy of Geocities from ArchiveTeam, a program to open random files or URLs from an SQLite3 database every given seconds, a program to wait/sleep in the Windows console for a given number of seconds, mirrors of Programmer's Heaven/Wotsit.org file formats/Craig Hart and PCI utilities/old OSDever.net; and of course the many tricks of my kernel. With my father I've been able to learn basic electronics and I've been learning to make small control programs using things like the PC16F84. The PICs can also be used to implement TinyVGA, PS/2 to serial converters, and other useful PC things. I've also bought integrated circuits for trying to make a PCI Sound Blaster 16/Vibra 16S/AWE32/AWE64 clone, but I see that I have a lot to learn for that.

I want to learn absolutely everything. Then I can do anything, the highest point being an operating system.

The point is that I can reuse the same code and high level tricks in my kernel and in my projects. I just need to keep it reusable to make any programming level as accessible as the rest or as JavaScript programming.

What I do is putting all my low level projects along with my kernel in one same package, and the rest as the software and documents library in another single package, to make it and my "normal" projects actually useful for something, and make the packages help each other without considering that I'm in user or kernel projects, I'm just adding more to my knowledge.

How old r u man?

You are programming addicted! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm 

zlixine wrote:
How old r u man?

You are programming addicted! :mrgreen:
33 since May 29th. I learned programming at 16-17, but I also had computer since I was little. The first computers I used were an 8088 and an Atari 2600, then a 386 and then Pentium I and above.

YouTube:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:33 am 

Hi,

I have a CPU project, mostly involving an assembler and an emulator for now. I hope I'll be able to make a physical copy after some years.

The main features/requirements for the CPU are that multiple cores and/or sockets (of different types) can be easily supported in a single system and that interconnects between CPU sockets and interconnects between RAM modules and memory mapped devices are well-defined and easy to support. I.e. There should be as few socket/chipset-specific interfaces as possible. I have some (placeholder) site here: http://glaux-os.org/cpu/.

I also have a language/compiler project, mostly blocked by the CPU project for now. I have a rough design of the compiler here: http://glaux-os.org/design/compiler/. However, I think I'll give up on the idea of the "project file", as specified there.

Regards,
glauxosdever

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:24 am 

Once upon a time I did anticheat software for a long out of print multiplayer persistent universe game.

These days I occasionally just fiddle with scripting at work (I'm intending to get into a bunch of Docker and Ansible stuff soonish, if I can find the time) and sometimes poke at Cg shaders for Retroarch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:27 am 

I haven't written a line of OS/kernel code in years. I might or might not get back to it. It's a big project. Instead I've been working on a smaller project, a C compiler. It has some relation to OS dev, however. It can be used to write a boot loader for both legacy BIOS (using real or unreal mode) and UEFI (in 32-bit protected mode). The compiler is small, simple and is self-hosting on DOS, Windows and Linux (also running in 96KB on BSD 2.11 ported to a PIC32 MIPS microcontroller). You can make it self-hosting on your OS. In principle, you can even develop all of your OS with it (if you don't go 64-bit and don't mind a few language limitations).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 am 

alexfru wrote:
I haven't written a line of OS/kernel code in years. I might or might not get back to it. It's a big project. Instead I've been working on a smaller project, a C compiler. It has some relation to OS dev, however. It can be used to write a boot loader for both legacy BIOS (using real or unreal mode) and UEFI (in 32-bit protected mode). The compiler is small, simple and is self-hosting on DOS, Windows and Linux (also running in 96KB on BSD 2.11 ported to a PIC32 MIPS microcontroller). You can make it self-hosting on your OS. In principle, you can even develop all of your OS with it (if you don't go 64-bit and don't mind a few language limitations).
I'm working in adding all classic PC code to my system as kernel test code, formal API and external test programs to mature additional kernel functionality once those programs become good enough as to be archived along with the current kernel.

I'm learning from them and converting them all to portable x86 assembly, with which I can reuse the same application-level code to 16, 32 and 64-bit modes.

Sometimes I think that ironically the code from major OSes since early 90's really was added from the public code archives I'm pointing out and other similar ones (which I hope are at the Archive.org Wayback Machine), so if that's the case, the huge critical majority of the code base of DOS, Windows 9x and Linux has always somehow been in an understandable format and this worldwide public domain source code archive. If that's the case, adding all of that code to a test OS like mine will demonstrate how much it can achieve as an OS when being cleaned up in one same place.

So I think that my OS will be based on turning the whole code base from Programmer's Heaven, FTP archives, easy to understand programs with and without sources, Chris Giese, Craig Hart, Alexei Frounze, Singlix.com, OSDever.net, OSDev.org, and many other similar websites with code and explanations/documents, as the resources that will power my code creation. Also good books old and new, digital and on physical, existing OSes like Linux/ReactOS/Menuet/VisOpSys/Toaru/Pony/SGOS, and finally my own creativity without external help as the main resource to create things first in my mind to make them fully understandable.

I think I'm finding ways to stay at the OS development level no matter what I do as I will need it for being able to add all my solved needs to my system.

An OS reaches the whole programming spectrum, it has no limit, everything is included, so whatever I do, I just need to fit it to my OS and make the code portable to any OS system environment and language, and never stop writing code that will improve and will be reusable anywhere.

YouTube:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:23 pm 

Almost all of my side projects are games. And they're pretty much all unfinished.

I do have a few utility projects, and a few web sites that are also unfinished. But mostly, it's unfinished games.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 am 

I do backend work on a large website with Java/Spring (please don't lynch me).
And my personal projects currently include messing around with P2P stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 am 

I also have a YouTube channel where I'm slowly adding what I develop. What I do is start doing something in a day for a given topic or project, then use Record/Pause for screen capture only for the concise tasks I need to document, then advance as much and when I achieve something fully or at some point, I stop the recording, save the video to a structured local video repository by topics, and then upload it.

I'd like it to be as big as Khan Academy and Udacity (or bigger) but based more on what I'm actually ultimately doing:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AltComp126

pitfall wrote:
I run a yet to be successful IT company business here in France.

Here are some of my programming projects :

professionnally : for a quite big client, creating a "meta-system" based upon clustering LXD/LXC containers on multiple (possibly across LANs) hosts and managing them with a nice decentralized web-interface and REST APIs connected to LXD itself. The key idea is to treat multiple LXD hosts as one "big" host, and create / send / migrate containers taking in account resource usage for each host, in smart ways so resource is always guaranteed for each released container.

maybe professionnaly : With one of my partners, I plan to create games based upon "butterfly effect" and maybe sell them. I'm currently working on a game engine generating pseudo-random (with a feedback loop) events and pushing the randomness in games at some very high level. The game engine itself uses intensively chaos theory, big numbers theory, riemann hypothesis, data analysis... in creative and meaningful ways. I also plan to release / sell Game Engine as a separate product.

Personnaly : working on several Web UI / UX projects for myself...
You should try to make a game where the world, characters, skills, items, actions, gameplay, are infinite. A person could design those things for a character, then upload them in a simple logical metadata format for others to experience, and if they don't download it, then just a description of what the character does with a generic shape to represent the overall shape, colors and description of actions of the character. It could look like in real life, where we only see blurry stuff when we don't know how someone does something we don't understand and we can only see a general set of actions. The actions could depend on the capabilities of each player to implement their own skills in a coherent way.

And the random actions could be made such that the acting of the character will never be the same every time it's played.

YouTube:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:44 am 

I have/had several projects. I made a Lua IDE for Windows called "Enigma". But I no longer have that project as I no longer use Windows to code.

I mainly work on custom game engines (call them the Quantum series). I make software to help people do things (uMake in the future as a no-code-required IDE). I have a spec for several different file formats of my own design called "XFF", or "eXtensible File Formats". I am a contributer to Unreal Engine/Unreal Tournament as well.