OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Man loses will to live during gentoo install
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:39 pm 

ggodw000 wrote:
Here are the main principles / philosophy:

[...] non-profit O/S [...] existing defect takes priority over newer features [...] ultra high bar for developers [...]

You won't get bullet points 2 and 3 without paying your developers, so mutually exclusive with 1 unless you receive donations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm 

Solar wrote:
ggodw000 wrote:
Here are the main principles / philosophy:

[...] non-profit O/S [...] existing defect takes priority over newer features [...] ultra high bar for developers [...]

You won't get bullet points 2 and 3 without paying your developers, so mutually exclusive with 1 unless you receive donations.

there are some profit and donation expected (details are to be worked out :) ). But main idea is to not release newer versions of O/S like a clockwork with full of craps.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 am 

Developers volunteering to iron out the harder-to-fix bugs, not to mention architectural issues that require careful planning and perhaps cross-subproject cooperation, are few and far between. You will find that, for every such individual, there will be dozens rather itching to implement the next cool feature, and sniffing their nose at this "maintenance crap".

Point in case, there's a certain setup of LDAP-based user authentification that makes Thunderbird (and some other clients) crash with a not-helpful-at-all error message. A different setup exists that does almost the same, LDAP-wise, but doesn't make anything crash.

The problem is known for over twelve years now. The fact that a solution would require some sit-together of at least three projects means it won't ever be closed.

I voiced some dissatisfaction with the fact that a decade-old bug still expresses itself with a SIGSEGV, and suggested to at least catch-and-report the condition gracefully. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was free to "fix it myself", because apparently the maintainers couldn't be bothered.

Welcome to the world of Free Software, where things are not really better, just broken in a different way.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=292127

Over the years, I have encountered quite a handful of these "eternal bugs". If it gets difficult, it falls by the roadside.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm 

Solar wrote:
Developers volunteering to iron out the harder-to-fix bugs, not to mention architectural issues that require careful planning and perhaps cross-subproject cooperation, are few and far between. You will find that, for every such individual, there will be dozens rather itching to implement the next cool feature, and sniffing their nose at this "maintenance crap".

Point in case, there's a certain setup of LDAP-based user authentification that makes Thunderbird (and some other clients) crash with a not-helpful-at-all error message. A different setup exists that does almost the same, LDAP-wise, but doesn't make anything crash.

The problem is known for over twelve years now. The fact that a solution would require some sit-together of at least three projects means it won't ever be closed.

I voiced some dissatisfaction with the fact that a decade-old bug still expresses itself with a SIGSEGV, and suggested to at least catch-and-report the condition gracefully. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was free to "fix it myself", because apparently the maintainers couldn't be bothered.

Welcome to the world of Free Software, where things are not really better, just broken in a different way.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=292127

Over the years, I have encountered quite a handful of these "eternal bugs". If it gets difficult, it falls by the roadside.

yes, our team had new recent MS hires both of them just become sloth after few months. i dont get their mentality, I was not like it when I graduate. A year after, they started making new design and started arguing with me and other senior engineers despite how well they are being reasoned and explained.
During last lay-off one of them get fired and all he left was nothing useful, lot of mistakes, dropped balls and half-hearted jobs after 1 1/2 of employment. Oh yeah, he told us that after about ~2 years there is nothing to learn at our company such the one we working because everything become monotonous, I should have reminded him that with right approach, proactiveness and time management skills coupled with million dollar lab equipments there are always something to learn.

key takeaway after spending yrs on sw industry: big issue small because everyone jumps on it and fixes it. small issue is big since everyone ignores and it causes catastrophy later. #devilisinthedetails