OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ToaruOS 1.0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 am 

After six years of development, I am very happy to finally announce the 1.0 release of ToaruOS. While I would not consider this "complete" - there is still much work to be done - it is time to refocus my development, and with that comes the time to declare a stable release. ToaruOS 1.0 has been the result of over half a decade of effort, with contributions from a dozen people besides myself.

For the full release notes, please see the release on Github. I'll keep things to-the-point here.

ToaruOS is a hobby operating system for x86 PCs, with a built-from-scratch kernel and a mostly-from-scratch userspace. The primary vision for ToaruOS has been building a rich graphical environment on par with modern full-scale operating systems. To that end, ToaruOS features a fully functional compositing windowing system. ToaruOS also includes a dynamic linker/loader, a port of Python 3.6 (in which most of the graphical applications are written), a package manager (with packages for many pieces of third-party software available, including GCC/Binutils, and Doom), and a Unix-like terminal. ToaruOS is currently 32-bit only and does not support SMP, which is part of why I am putting out this 1.0 release - it is time for me to focus my efforts on a 64-bit SMP port, but the challenges involved there mean that it is better left as a major goal for 2.0.

ToaruOS is free software, released under the NCSA/University of Illinois License, which is effectively the same as a typical BSD 3-clause license. This license was chosen because, at the time of ToaruOS's conception, I was a student at the University of Illinois. ToaruOS also ships with third-party software under various different licenses which you may find in Applications > Help > Go > Topics > Licenses. Other packages installed through the package manager may be under additional licenses.

From the release on Github, you may download a normal live CD (toaruos.iso) or a netboot version which downloads its userspace from my website on boot. The former is recommended for most users, the latter is more of a tech demo. VirtualBox or QEMU are the recommended environments for running ToaruOS, but I would love to see what sorts of real hardware people can get it working on - I've gotten pictures of Pentium 4 laptops I've been told ran things quite nicely.

Post subject: Re: ToaruOS 1.0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:39 am 

Congratulations!

I have studied your ToaruOS code for examples over the past few months - and have found it well organized and easy to understand.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:10 am 

Great job, Kevin!

Really nice OS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:22 am 

Very impressive work, works really well! It works really smooth and the compositor contains really neat features :). Congratulations.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:22 am 

iz vyrus dont install it ruin me system

u haker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 am 

かわいい :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:56 am 

Embarrassingly, 1.0 got released with a shoddy PS/2 mouse driver because I spend too much time testing in VirtualBox with mouse integration. A fix for that, along with some other minor bug fixes, is available in v1.0.1. If you boot an older live CD (with network support), you should get an upgrade notification informing you of this release, which will also give you the option of viewing these release notes, so maybe boot your 1.0 copy first to see that? Hopefully, one day, that'll also let you install the newer version (but not on the live CD, of course).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:16 pm 

Hey klange,

I am truly impressed. The package manager worked great. Your user interface works very fluently and performant. Nice set of programs you got there. Hell, you got network support, a hard disk driver, sound driver, a kernel that seems to work flawlessly, I'm amazed.

You should set up a laptop with ToaruOS and from now on only develop on that laptop. Whenever you miss something, you can program it right there :P

One small bug I've encountered in VBox: I shut down the VM and restarted it, and after the boot it didn't correctly check for the current resolution (only the top half of the screen was filled with a mash of pixels). Fixed by just resizing the VM window. Oh, and you maybe should prohibit the package manager from being run twice, I guess that could cause problems.

Very good work. You can be very proud. =D>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm 

Absolutely flawless. I'm speechless. klange, you are a real master.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:29 pm 

Wow. Just wow.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:07 am 

Klange, you are my #1 source of inspiration (then comes Maxdev1). Just speechless! =D> =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

You made it to opennet post

http://www.opennet.ru/opennews/art.shtml?num=46038

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 am 

dozniak wrote:

I wanted to say the same.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:39 am 

dozniak wrote:

I would ask for a translation of the comments, but maybe I don't want to know...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 am 

klange wrote:
dozniak wrote:

I would ask for a translation of the comments, but maybe I don't want to know...

These comments will definitely offend you. They say that your project will die eventually, that there's no point to do this, etc.

OSDev newbies can copy any code from my repositories, just leave a notice that this code was written by U365 development team, not by you.