OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: External "Deep" Links to OSDev WiKi.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:54 pm 

I am currently working on a web page (personal home server) and I would like to place some "deep" links to specific WiKi pages.

Standard laws only allow me to "legally" link to the home page - and I cannot find any information about this on the WiKi (or it's in a hard place to locate) thus why this post was created.

So, the only question is do we have permission for deep links, and what restriction (if any) apply?

And for reference my page has to deal with the design and implementation of my operating system.

Thanks,

B!

Sortie wrote:
  • Don't play the role of an operating systems developer, be one.
  • Be truly afraid of undefined [behavior].
  • Your operating system should be itself, not fight what it is.

Post subject: Re: External "Deep" Links to OSDev WiKi.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:01 pm 

I was puzzled when I read your question as I thought WTF? But a little research reveals that many do actually regard deep linking as illegitimate. I am now amazed now rather than puzzled. Would the author of a reference book object if I gave a reference to page 32 of their work? I think not; I suspect they would be pleased.

I'll be interested to see the answer from the site owners and very much hope that it is of the form "Go ahead, you're welcome.".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:36 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
As far as I get the legalese, deeplinking has never actually been illegal. It's forms of abuse, circumvention, misrepresentation and that sort of things that cause the trouble.

Deeplinking to individual pages is perfectly fine as sharing the content is the obvious purpose of a wiki. We even have BBcode tags to facilitate just that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 pm 

Although there are cases were deep linking would be illegal, I can't see how that would apply to a wiki. It's not like images or binaries were it makes the site-owner pay for bandwidth without getting the visitor to it's site. We don't have adsense here but even if there was it would only get (potentially) more legitimate views on those ads. So.. I'm still at WTF?!

I can't imagine a reality were this would be an issue.

Failed project: GoOS - https://github.com/nutterts/GoOS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:14 pm 

Deep linking is illegal??? Pretty much every link I've seen is "deep" (if that means what I think it means, to link to a page other than the site's homepage or front page); I hate it when people just link to the front page of a website and expect me to find the relevant content myself (e.g. "read more about this topic in an article from <insert name of online newspaper>", but the link only links to the newspaper's website and you have to search to find the relevant article - or just close the page, as I often do).

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:10 pm 

Combuster wrote:
As far as I get the legalese, deeplinking has never actually been illegal. It's forms of abuse, circumvention, misrepresentation and that sort of things that cause the trouble.

Deeplinking to individual pages is perfectly fine as sharing the content is the obvious purpose of a wiki. We even have BBcode tags to facilitate just that.
That is what I figured. I'm just in a gray area with the ISP and want absolutely no reason for an AUP violation notice.

Sortie wrote:
  • Don't play the role of an operating systems developer, be one.
  • Be truly afraid of undefined [behavior].
  • Your operating system should be itself, not fight what it is.