Desktop pictures

All off topic discussions go here. Everything from the funny thing your cat did to your favorite tv shows. Non-programming computer questions are ok too.
Peterbjornx
Libera.chat IRC: peterbjornx

Desktop pictures

Post by Peterbjornx »

Post a picture of what your OSDevving workplace/desktop looks like
max
Libera.chat IRC: maxdev

Re: Desktop pictures

Post by max »

You mean battlestation? :mrgreen:

SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

I had to give up my office when we started having kids...

So now my OSDev area is in the living room, on the couch, with a very small laptop.

:/
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
Kazinsal
Libera.chat IRC: Kazinsal

Post by Kazinsal »

My "office" is the basement. When I'm just casually doing things on the internet or doing osdev, my keyboard is where it is. When I'm playing any sort of game, my keyboard shifts to the left about 25cm so I can have a positively enormous amount of mousepad space.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

My workplace really is just my laptop on my desk. My two testing PCs are in another room.
You know your OS is advanced when you stop using the Intel programming guide as a reference.
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

AndrewAPrice

Post by AndrewAPrice »

I'm not allowed to take a photo of my work environment, but it's awesome! You can probably Google 'Google employee workstation' for an example.
Last edited by AndrewAPrice on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My OS is Perception.
Brynet-Inc
Libera.chat IRC: brynet

Post by Brynet-Inc »

My potato cam doesn't really do it justice.

https://twitter.com/canadianbryan/statu ... 8901711873
Twitter: @canadianbryan. Award by smcerm, I stole it. Original was larger.
Roman

Post by Roman »

"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
Muazzam

Post by Muazzam »

Yours is the best so far (in my opinion). The image is also looking very professional.
SpyderTL

Post by SpyderTL »

iansjack wrote:Image
I think I like this one the best... for the carpet, if nothing else.

We need a run down on what all we are looking at here. I see 3 keyboards, two mice, 4 PCs? Definitely takes 1st place for most "efficient" use of a cubic meter... :)
Project: OZone
Source: GitHub
Current Task: LIB/OBJ file support
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott
iansjack

Post by iansjack »

I must excuse the "carpet". It's a sheepskin rug that was donated to one of my dogs (the one in my avatar) by a friend because she always rolled on it when she went to visit (the dog rolled, not the friend). It's obviously pretty tasty as every dog who comes in the house makes a beeline for it with a dreamy expression on their face.

Only three computers in the picture (well there is also a Buffalo NAS that runs a variety of Linux) plus a Bluetooth speaker. The main one on the right is an i7 machine that runs Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Fedora, and Gentoo. The Mac Mini is an OS X server. The one under the table is a cobbled together Athlon machine that runs Arch Linux and is used as a test bed for OSs. As you can see, whereas most people seem to go for the one computer several screens idiom I like to work the other way round. Lot's of keyboards and mice!

This is just a part of my computer collection. I also have a G4 Mac Mini, a Lenovo laptop, a couple of Raspberry Pis (old and new), and old IBM and Toshiba laptops (up in the attic I think). (An iPad and an Android tablet, too, but those hardly count as computers.) The Amiga is buried deep in a cupboard, as is the QL. One day they may see the light again. I may even have an original IBM portable (the sewing machine one) somewhere, but I think my wife might have thrown that away. Lots of spare and broken bits too. Out in the garden shed is my original UK101 board, built from a kit. (I mean really built - soldered ICs, well IC sockets, and the keyboard is 50 odd switches soldered to the circuit board.) Amazingly it actually worked after I had discovered which IC was bad; I very much doubt that it does now. One day I'll put it on eBay as they are beginning to attract a collector's market - this is pre-Commodore Pet stuff.
Combuster
Libera.chat IRC: [com]buster
Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance

Post by Combuster »

My workroom is currently a huge mess, so instead I'll entertain you with a 6-year-old photo instead.
"Certainly avoid yourself. He is a newbie and might not realize it. You'll hate his code deeply a few years down the road." - Sortie
[ My OS ] [ VDisk/SFS ]
Roman

Post by Roman »

Combuster wrote:My workroom is currently a huge mess, so instead I'll entertain you with a 6-year-old photo instead.
I remembered the words from Torvalds' mother: “Just give Linus a spare closet with a good computer in it and feed him some dry pasta and he will be perfectly happy.” (at least in the photo the room looks tight)
Yours is the best so far (in my opinion). The image is also looking very professional.
Thanks. Well, I'm not a professional at all. This photo was taken with a phone.
"If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."
- Alan Kay
onlyonemac

Post by onlyonemac »

iansjack wrote:The main one on the right is an i7 machine that runs Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Fedora, and Gentoo.
I didn't think you could run more than one version of Windows on the same computer. Doesn't Windows only work in a primary partition on the first hard drive?
When you start writing an OS you do the minimum possible to get the x86 processor in a usable state, then you try to get as far away from it as possible.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing