OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I'm planning to start making an OSDev Magazine!
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:09 am 

I know this has been done several times in the past, but I would like to start an OSDev Magazine. Articles about progress of your OS's, releases, developer interviews could be sent to me by private messages and then I would edit them to fit the magazine. I'm planning to write it in HTML, so anyone can read it with a browser. Do you agree? Do you have any ideas? Where the magazine will be hosted? When will issues be released?

Waiting for your suggestions,
glauxosdev

Post subject: Re: I'm planning to start making an OSDev Magazine!
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:07 am 

That's a good idea; also for programming in general. You should use three formats instead of one: PDF (for offline use and for printing), HTML (for online and mobile access) and plain text (to read it on an ordinary hobby OS). You should also include tutorials, articles, tips and tricks and other such a stuff also. An advice is, don't rely on just this forum, market it properly. If you like, I can host it for you.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:22 am 

You can host it on GitHub Pages. It's free and perfect, if you don't need server-side scripting.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:45 am 

Thank you for the tips, I will host it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/osdev-magazine. For the first issue I will stick with HTML, later we will see. What do you think should be included in the first issue? What articles? What tips and tricks? What tutorials? When will it be released?

Regards,
glauxosdev

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:02 am 

Are there any major OS releases approaching? Is there someone who wants to share some of his knowledge?

Please let me know,
glauxosdev

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:10 am 

Windows 10, FreeBSD 11, Fedora 22, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:16 am 

I meant those of hobby OSes. #-o
For example we have Sortix, ToAruOS, etc. Just their releases are not approaching. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:52 am 

You could tell your readers about the most advanced hobby OSes. That can inspire people. Then you can tell more about the development itself.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:11 pm 

That's what I had in my head. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:17 am 

I'd like to protest the choice of sourceforge. They bundle malware, have malicious advertisements and is in general an awful, awful site.

I was asked in a PM about my opinion on this. I personally probably wouldn't care much about a new OSDev magazine. I would probably read articles about my stuff, but such a thing will be competing with all the other places I put my attention. I look to LWN, follow interesting people on twitter, visit good IRC channels, follow some cool mailing lists, keeps me somewhat posted on interesting stuff and there's a lot I never look at but would interest me. I don't see much of a point to make a new OS magazine, rather than posting interesting forum topics, or joining some existing site like osnews or POC||GFTO [sic], or whatever the cool people read these days. But I osdev a lot more than I talk about my osdev. There's a lot of people that talk way more osdev than they actually do, they might appreciate this.

muazzam: More tutorials on a custom site is a very bad idea. Bad tutorials written by newbies that hasn't been updated since is plaguing this community. Anything that isn't community edited is dead to me.

I'd like to see more inspiration on how to osdev properly, rather than poor hacks. Working towards an actual, installable, self-hosting operating system. Some ambition.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:45 am 

I think a hobby OS magazine could be fun/useful if it was edited by a really experienced programmer who had done such development for a number of years. But that is not the case here, and so I see no future for this project. The blind leading the blind is not a good situation.

Much like the compiler writer's Wiki which sunk without a trace almost before it was announced.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:11 am 

sortie wrote:
muazzam: More tutorials on a custom site is a very bad idea. Bad tutorials written by newbies that hasn't been updated since is plaguing this community. Anything that isn't community edited is dead to me.

I am talking about tutorials, "just for motivation" for beginners. As far as I know, a magazine is not like static website, and it is released regularly. So, community editing is not a case.
sortie wrote:
Working towards an actual, installable, self-hosting operating system. Some ambition.

By the way, I think, every OS is "actual", and, installable *self-hosting isn't a big deal for me.

Last edited by Muazzam on Wed May 13, 2015 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
muazzam wrote:
it is released regularly. So, community editing is not a case.
So.. The tutorial from Hell was superseded by Brans. Brans known bugs are superseded by JamesMs. JamesM's known bugs are superseded by... hmm... what was that newbie with all those other beginner mistakes again that showed up recently?

And yet after a decade of deprecation we still get people screaming doom over these old things. Once it is out there, it's out there forever. I guess it does take some seniority and see-sortie-in-signature wisdom to realize that being able to fix someone else's website is a glorious gift.

tl;dr: Use the wiki for tutorials.

Quote:
installable self-hosing
You have no idea :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:11 pm 

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I edited a community-driven OSDev magazine.

There was consensus (and more than that, wild enthusiasm!) that a a magazine was wanted. There were dozens of offers for hosting, editing, graphic design, and, most importantly, article writing. You know how many issues were produced? One.

All I will say is, good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:08 am 

Combuster wrote:
Quote:
installable self-hosing
You have no idea :mrgreen:

it is just a typo--and nothing else.

Last edited by Muazzam on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.